Adam Biederwolf

Adam Biederwolf portrait. 

Adam Biederwolf's five favorite albums

As the election for president of the Associated Students of the University of New Mexico gets closer, the Daily Lobo wanted to get to know presidential candidate Adam Biederwolf, and his taste in music a little bit better. 

Biederwolf said music plays a huge role in his life and considers himself a fan of Hip Hop. He said he is drawn to the conceptual side of the genre, naming artists such as Kendrick Lamar, Jay Z and Kanye West as some of his favorites. This was reflected in his answers when asked what his five favorite albums are, and why.

Blonde by Frank Ocean 

"This album came out Fall of 2016 and it was during my freshman year of college when I lived in Casas Del Rio. Blonde is one of my favorites because it talks about so many things we experience during college. Since I was new to the whole college life, I felt like this album was something I could relate to every single day. It is so interesting because the album title is Blonde, but on the album cover the title is Blond. Also, one of my favorite songs, "Nights," has an incredible beat switch, and that beat switch perfectly divides the album into two parts. Lastly, the final song, "Futura Free," ends with Frank's friend asking "How far is a lightyear?" A lightyear is expected to travel 9.4 trillion kilometers each year. The song is nine minutes and 24 seconds (9.4 minutes). "Futura Free" is an exact representation of the answer to the albums final question, "How far is a lightyear?" It is easy to say, Frank did it again."

Favorite Track: "White Ferrari" 

The Black Album by Jay Z 

"The Black Album by Jay Z consists of songs that I used to listen to during high school baseball. The groundbreaking interlude, "Public Service Announcement," served as my walkup song all four years of my career. Other songs like "Encore," "Dirt Off Your Shoulder" and "Allure" continue to raise the hair on my arms, as they serve as the perfect tools to remind me of the good times on the baseball diamond."

Favorite Track: "Encore" 

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West 

"I remember the first time I heard "Power," my jaw literally dropped. I believe this is Kanye West's best production, and it came at the perfect time. After everything that had happened to the man, he came back and produced a hip hop classic. Oh, and do not forget about the Nicki verse." 

Favorite Track: "Lost in the World" 

Graduation by Kanye West 

"Graduation is most likely my favorite Kanye album because it really never gets old. To this day, I'm still trying to convince my brother that "Stronger" is Kanye's best produced track, but he never listens. The album takes me back to when I was little. When my mom would pick me up from school, and either "Stronger" or "Good Life" would always be playing on the radio. This album never disappoints. It never gets old. It always puts me in a good mood. "Big Brother," the final track on the album, inspired my brother and I to get matching tattoos, because at the end of the day, he is an 'idol in my eyes, a god of the game.'" 

Favorite Track: "Homecoming"

To Pimp A Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar 

"To Pimp a Butterfly is my favorite album, because of the meaning and the message behind the album. The message is deep, so I probably couldn't explain it all, however, it is something that I live with every single day. It is safe to say I listen to one song off of this album every day, and learn something different about myself every time I listen to this record from start to finish. Kendrick raps about depression, money, love and using one's fame for good. It always serves as a reminder to give back to the people who have impacted myself. The second to last song, "i" expresses self love and self esteem, even through the dangers of depression and helplessness, as the chorus yells "I LOVE MYSELF!" I got this "i" tattooed over my heart to serve as a reminder to myself to always love how God created me, even when times are tough. 

Favorite Track: "Momma" 

Editor's note: The Daily Lobo reached out to current ASUNM Senate Steering & Rules Chair, and opposing presidential candidate, Mohammad Assed, for his own "five and why," but has yet to receive a response. 

Shayla Cunico is the culture and music editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ShaylaCunico.