Sean the Street Preacher

Sean (who declined to give his last name) preaches outside the UNM Student Union Building. 

Heated exchange takes place in SUB mall

University of New Mexico Police Department was called out to the Student Union Building Mall during a heated series of arguments for a potential assault. The incident stemmed from a series of heated exchanges between a group called Christ In The Wild Ministries and UNM students. 

The incident happened between Amanda Baquera and Sean (who declined to give his last name). Baquera said that Sean had shoved her while the two were arguing. Sean said that he did not. 

“He tried going through me, but I stayed as a wall and he shoved me and once he shoved me I said ‘you're not getting to her’ because to me that’s aggression,” Baquera said, referring to another student in the argument. 

UNMPD responded to the incident shortly after it occurred. 

Officer Nina Fox told Baquera that UNMPD could not remove the group unless they had committed a crime. Ultimately, UNMPD made no arrests. Several students filled out police reports during the incident. 

“UNM is an open campus,” said Andrea Marquez, Student Activities Advisor. “Basically, folks come to us to be assigned a space. We try to make sure events that have loud sound are not in proximity to classroom buildings.” 

Justin Garcia is a staff reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers student government. He can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Just516garc.