Women's Basketball: Lobos travel to face Colorado State

The University of New Mexico women’s basketball team (22-4, 12-3 Mountain West) travels north on Saturday to take on Colorado State University (8-18, 2-13 MW) at Moby Arena in Fort Collins, Colorado at 2 p.m.

The Lobos got the better of the Rams when the two teams met in Albuquerque in January, 70-58. The Rams are currently in the midst of a six-game losing streak, but took league's top team, Boise State, to overtime before falling in their match up on Wednesday.  

UNM comes into the game riding a two-game winning streak and potentially needing to win out in order to secure a share of the regular season championship with Boise State. Currently, the Broncos are one game ahead of the Lobos with the lone matchup of the season between the two schools still to come. 

The Rams are lead by junior guard Mollie Mounsey and sophomore Lore Devos. The two are first and second, respectively, in the Mountain West in minutes played per game. Devon is the teams leading scorer, 14 points per game.

This matchup will be a good example of contrasting styles, with the Lobos averaging nearly 77 points per game and CSU averaging just under 55. The team that controls the tempo should have a good shot at coming out with a victory. 

The game can be streamed on the MW Network, with a link available at golobos.com or heard on 610 AM.

Cameron Goeldner is a senior reporter and photographer for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s soccer, women’s basketball, softball and the Albuquerque Isotopes, but also contributes content for all other sports. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter  @goeldfinger.