Smelly Trees Outside the SUB

Spring Snow crabapples bloom in front of Mitchell Hall. 

UNM to hold tree planting event for Arbor Day

Smelly trees aside, the University of New Mexico has some upcoming events for the arboreal-lovers around campus. 

In honor of Arbor Day on April 26, an international holiday dedicated to planting trees, UNM will host plantings all week across campus. 

“We’ve been doing arbor week plantings for a long time,” said Alan Billau, the supervisor for the UNM arboriculture department. “We always encourage people to come and pick up a shovel and help plant the tree.” 

He said the department has taken some of the suggestions over the years to plant fruit trees, such as berries, apples and coffee. Below is a list of arbor activities people can participate in throughout the week. 

Monday, April 22: 

At 10 a.m., valley cottonwoods will be planted in the Tight Grove (the corner of University Boulevard and Central Avenue), adding to the ponderosa pines and other cottonwoods currently there. 

Espresso Kentucky coffee trees will be planted at noon at Hodgin Hall (the alumni building with the “U” in front) . 

Tuesday, April 23:

In front of Scholes Hall at 10 a.m. a Lavelle hawthorn is scheduled to be planted. 

Noon at the Anthropology building, greenspire linden (a huge shade tree  that can grow 30 to 40 feet high) is the tree of choice. 

Wednesday, April 24:

10 a.m. on North Campus at Novitski Hall (Dental Hygiene clinic) common hackberry will be planted, and yes, it’s edible. 

Still on North Campus, at noon, Washington hawthorn will be planted by the Innovation, Discovery and Training Complex. 

Thursday, April 25: 

From 10 a.m. to noon greenspire lindens will be planted outside the UNM College of Education. 

Friday, April 26: (Beginning of your “tree day” weekend) 

10 a.m. by Santa Clara Hall has scheduled yellow delicious apple trees for planting. 

At 1 p.m. by Laguna Hall red delicious apple tree will make it's appearance. 

Billau said they have certified arborists that will be on site to answer any questions about the trees. 

More information about tree planting will be provided at the Annual UNM Sustainability Expo on April 18 from 10:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. in the Cornell Mall. 

Danielle Prokop is a senior reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ProkopDani.