Softball: Lobos travel to Las Cruces to take on NMSU

The University of New Mexico Softball team will look to turn things around in a Tuesday doubleheader against the rival New Mexico State Aggies in Las Cruces. The first game begins at 4 p.m., with the second scheduled to follow at 6. 

The Lobos (10-24) are coming off of a weekend sweep against Nevada, as the team was limited to just 12 hits the entire weekend in the trio of defeats. However, UNM is on a two game non-conference winning streak after a sweep of North Dakota last week. 

NMSU (15-14) is coming off of a series loss to Seattle University last weekend that opened conference play for the Aggies. Victoria Castro, a graduate of Volcano Vista High School in Albuquerque, leads the team offensively, hitting .363/.480/.713 with six home runs and 20 RBI. Kelsey Horton brings the power for the Aggies, with the senior becoming the career leader in total bases for the program last weekend.  

The two sides have already met once this season, with the Aggies taking the first matchup 9-8 back in February. UNM's pitching staff has struggled as of late, with a staff earned run average over seven. The team will have to find a way to limit the damage in order to leave Las Cruces with a win.

Last year, the Lobos recorded their first victory over the Aggies since 2014 in the lone matchup of the year in Las Cruces. Their final attempt to repeat that feat will be broadcast on the WAC Digital Network. 

Cameron Goeldner is a senior reporter and photographer for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s soccer, women’s basketball, softball and the Albuquerque Isotopes, but also contributes content for all other sports. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter  @goeldfinger.