Rainbow Crosswalk

Rainbow Crosswalk on Morningside and Central on Route 66

APD arrests man allegedly behind crosswalk vandalism

The Albuquerque Police Department arrested a man they believe to have vandalized the rainbow-colored crosswalks.

Anthony Morgan is believed to be a rider in the video that showed dozens of motorcycles burning out their tires and leaving skid marks along a recently installed rainbow-colored crosswalks on Morningside and Central in Nob Hill. According to the warrant for Morgan’s arrest, APD utilized tips from the Crimestoppers hotline and Morgan’s social media to identify him as one of the riders. 

According to the arrest warrant, police connected three videos obtained on social media with Morgan’s Instagram account. They said the make and model of the motorcycle, and tattoos visible in the videos allowed them to identify Morgan as one of the motorcyclists who vandalized the crosswalk. 

“I’m proud of Albuquerque for stepping up and helping police identify this offender,” Mayor Tim Keller said. “We are an inclusive city, and this arrest sends a strong message that we will not tolerate attempts to divide us.”

Morgan is charged with criminal damage of property and conspiracy to damage property. APD said the approximate cost of replacing the two damaged stripes is $1,700. 

The Daily Lobo previously reported that the crosswalks were installed ahead of the annual Pride parade. Previous to the arrest, Mayor Tim Keller said the actions of the motorcyclists were a “symbolic act of hate.” 

“That is much more than a crosswalk, that is a symbol of our city’s commitment to inclusion, and that’s why when you deface it, you stand up on the wrong side of that argument,” Keller said before the arrest. 

The crosswalks cost approximately $30,000 to install. 

Lauren McDonald contributed to the reporting in this article. 

Justin Garcia is the editor in chief of the Daily Lobo. he can be contacted at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Just516garc.