NM UNITED

A young girl runs onto the field prior to kickoff against Fresno Football Club, with a New Mexico United flag, on March 9, 2019. 

Soccer: NM United collects win over Switchbacks; earns date with MLS squad

Editors note: The previous version of the photo that accompanies this article read "This is a fake cut line." That placeholder was removed and the cut line was corrected.  

The excitement around New Mexico United soccer continued last Wednesday as United took on the Colorado Springs Switchbacks in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. 

In the first half of the match, the game appeared to be uneventful as hopeful attempts from both teams were blocked and recovered by the dedicated goal keepers. At the end of the first, there were no goals scored. 

Things began to pick up at the beginning of the second half. After an assist from Jordan Schweitzer, The Switchbacks scored the first goal of the night from Colorado Springs captain, Jordan Burt. 

The half went on with tensions high as United put pressure on the Switchbacks, determined to keep up with their competitors.  

Toward the end of the half, each team received a yellow card for fouls. In the last three minutes of the scheduled time, NM United tied the score with a goal from Christopher Wehan. The assist came from Kevaughn Frater. 

Things got heated going into extra time. The score was tied, 1-1. 

A red card was pulled on Rony Argueta of the Switchbacks for violence misconduct. 

The foul resulted in a penalty kick by Frater. He placed a left-footed kick, passed the keeper, creating contact between the ball and the upper left corner of the net. 

The kick from Frater secured the win for New Mexico and knocked Colorado Springs out of the Cup. 

The remainder of extra time was a mixture of attempts and misses from both NM United and Colorado Springs. 

The match ended 2-1, NM United. 

The win advanced United to the next round of the event, matching them against The Colorado Rapids, a Major League Soccer team. The winner of the Cup goes to the CONCACAF Champions League. 

The match is scheduled for June 12, at 7 p.m. in Commerce City, Colorado.

Fans also have NM United’s Pride on the Pitch game on June 5 at Isotopes Park, against the Oklahoma City Energy. The match begins at 7 p.m.

Alanie Rael is a freelance sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. She primarily covers volleyball, hockey and track and field, but also contributes content for football. She can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @AllyRael.