Four reportedly shot in downtown ABQ

Albuquerque police are investigating a shooting that occurred early Sunday morning in downtown Albuquerque. 

Four people were reportedly shot outside of Tantra nightclub — formerly known as Lotus — and were taken to local hospitals. Albuquerque Police Department said their injuries are not life-threatening. 

The identities of the victims have not been released. 

Tantra is located at 211 Gold SW, between 2nd and 3rd streets. When police arrived at the scene around 2:30 a.m., they reported finding blood and bullet casings in a nearby parking lot. They said that they have also located a vehicle with “visible firearms” and sealed it while awaiting a search warrant. 

No arrests have been made in connection to the shooting at this time. Detectives are still investigating. 

“Numerous interviews were conducted, but there were conflicting statements and insufficient evidence to make an arrest without additional investigation,” Simon Dobrick, APD spokesperson told the Albuquerque Journal

According to the mid-2019 APD Crime Stats, there was 8% decrease in shootings with injury since 2018. There have been 94 shootings with injury since the start of 2019 according to the APD crime statistics. The statistics were compiled from data developed June 26. 

In early May, APD, UNM Police and the New Mexico State Police department announced a joint effort to increase patrols, presence and coordination efforts in light of recent shootings — namely the shooting death of University of New Mexico baseball player Jackson Weller.

APD said for any witnesses to Sunday’s incident to contact Crime Stoppers at 843-STOP. 

Makayla Grijalva is the managing editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at managingeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @MakaylaEliboria