ASUNM 8.28.19.jpg

UNM Athletics Director Eddie Nuñez addresses the ASUNM Senate on Aug. 28. Senators had the opportunity to ask Nuñez question about his department. 

ASUNM Senate approves seven appointments

The Associated Students of the University of New Mexico’s full senate meeting on Wednesday, Aug. 28 ushered in seven new ASUNM appointees selected by ASUNM President Adam Biederwolf. 

Among the night’s events, the president pro-tempore was elected, UNM Athletic Director Eddie Nuñez discussed systemic reforms to athletics, Biederwolf provided updates on the solar panel installation on the Student Union Building  (SUB) and an Open Meetings Act resolution was adopted to be  compliant with New Mexico state law

Kaylee Maxon was confirmed as executive director of Lobo Spirit. Maxon served as Biederwolf’s assistant when he held the executive director position last year. According to Biederwolf, the executive director of Lobo Spirit cultivates a sense of campus morale by programming University wide events, such as Red Rally. 

Jacob Silva was confirmed as chief of staff. Biederwolf said that Silva will use his previous experience as president pro-tempore to help Biederwolf make informed decisions and will act as “the work-horse in the office.” 

“I hired Jacob because he is the one who will challenge me the most,” Biederwolf said. “I understand that as president, I’m not going to make the right decision, I am going to fail, but Jacob will pick me up.” 

Biederwolf said attorney general Selina Montoya will also be crucial in his decision making process. 

“To be honest, being an agency director last year I was a little bit hesitant with learning the Lawbook and Constitution of ASUNM,” Biederwolf continued, “Having Selina on my team is one of the most valuable pieces to my administration because she understands the moving parts of senate and all the details I missed.”

Lacy Garner was elected as executive director of Emerging Lobo Leaders (ELL). According to Biederwolf, Garner is a key player in his administration because he sees the executive director of ELL as ASUNM’s unofficial recruitment director. Biederwolf said that Garner’s experience as a sorority leader and prior involvement with ELL were compelling in his appointment decision. 

When interviewed previously by the Daily Lobo , Biederwolf said he wanted to make ASUNM less greek oriented. Of the seven senators Biederwolf appointed, five of them are currently involved in greek life. Although Biederwolf acknowledged the optics, he maintained that the individuals he selected were the most qualified for the position regardless of their greek affiliation.

Amanda Perea, Lynn Midani and Ethan Duff were all elected to their respective positions of director of communications, executive director of community experience and executive of student special events. 

Biederwolf also provided an update about the solar panel installation on the roof of the Student SUB. He confirmed that the SUB is in the process of being renovated and announced that there are plans to use the capital outlay funding to add solar panels to Zimmerman library. Biederwolf said the Zimmerman proposal is expected to go to the Board of Regents in December.

During Nuñez’s speech, he announced that he wanted to make departmental changes to athletics. Among the changes he proposed, Nuñez said he wants to increase mental health support for athletes following Romell Jordan and Jackson Weller’s deaths earlier this year. 

During questioning, Senator Ryan Regalado addressed last year’s sports cuts and asked what President Stokes allocating funding to club sports will look like. Nuñez said athletics is working with the president’s office, recreational sports and student services to ensure that they will “do this right,” though he did not detail what that meant. 

Nuñez announced that athletics is invested in an increasing fundraising for the year and said he believes successful fundraising will require a concerted effort of UNM Athletics, the UNM Foundation and the UNM Alumni Association “all working together.”

Senator Xavier Torres was voted as president pro-tempore in a runoff against Senator Nieajua Gonzalez. Finance chair Gregory Romero advocated for Torres before the vote and said that president pro-tempore is a position that holds senators accountable and should have knowledge of all three committees. Neither Gonzalez nor Torres have sat on all three committees.

The next full senate meeting will be held Sept. 11 at 6 p.m.

Alyssa Martinez is a freelance reporters at the Daily Lobo and can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @amart4447.