Freshmen Family Day.jpg

A student volunteer leads a group of freshmen students and their families on a tour of campus, starting outside of Cornell Mall on August 18 during Freshman Family Day.

UNM Freshman Convocation welcomes new students to campus

The 24th annual University of New Mexico Freshman Family Day welcomed incoming students to the University and gave them the chance to relax and have fun while getting to know more about UNM, Sunday afternoon. 

Multiple groups including the College Enrichment and Outreach Program, the Student Activities Center, the Dean of Students and  New Student Orientation helped to put together multiple events for the day.

The director for the College Enrichment Program Andrew Gonzales said the event was for the University to welcome new students and let them know about the resources and people at UNM and the support they offer in their transition to college life.

A formal convocation in Popejoy Hall started the events that afternoon. The convocation  featured a welcome from Dr. James Paul Holloway, the University’s provost, along with performances and videos that gave students a look at what life is like at UNM. 

Following Freshman Convocation, students and their families were invited to the Student Union Building and Cornell Mall area for nachos, popcorn, sundaes and snacks. They also had the opportunity to connect with other students new to the school.

A class crawl, or student-volunteer lead tour around campus, also took place during the reception. Volunteers from Greek Life, Residence Life and Student Housing, American Campus Communities, and other groups on campus showed groups of four to five students and their families key spots on campus, as well as where their classes would be for the semester.

Greg Golden, the Assistant Dean of Students, said the crawl allows students to start off on the right foot at UNM. 

“The objective is that the students will feel at home right off the bat and will be able to make their four years here more wonderful,” he said.

The day ended with a showing of the 2019 live-action version of Aladdin at Johnson field at 8 p.m.

Amanda Britt is the Photo Editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at photoeditor@dailylobo.com or at @AmandaBritt__