Deb.jpg

Haaland comes to UNM

US Representative Deb Haaland of New Mexico’s 1st Congressional District spoke to University of New Mexico students on Tuesday, Aug. 27 in the Student Union Building (SUB) Atrium. 

Students, faculty and others in attendance were encouraged to ask Haaland questions on topics of their choice. Topics that were covered included who Haaland endorsed in the 2020 Democratic Primary — Elizabeth Warren — gerrymandering, the importance of voting in elections and more. 

“I am not one of those pessimists who say ‘everyone is corrupt.’” Haaland said. “No, I don’t believe that. There are so many good people who are serving our community in elected office, we just need to elect more of them.”

She was on campus for the UNM National Security (NSSP) and Critical Technology Program’s (CTP) career workshop and summer research poster session. NSSP and CTP are both programs within the UNM Global and National Security Policy Institute. 

Before the talk, she met with students in the programs who were presenting their summer research. 

The event also held career workshops before both Haaland’s talk and the poster session. The workshops covered multiple topics concerning various career paths in national security and intelligence fields. 

Workshops were hosted by Sandia Labs, Los Alamos National Labs, and United States CIA representatives. 

Makayla Grijalva is the managing editor at the Daily Lobo and can be contacted on twitter @MakaylaEliboria or at managingeditor@dailylobo.com