Soccer: United falls 3-2 on road to Portland

Albuquerque’s home soccer team, New Mexico United, competed against the Portland Timbers 2 on Sunday evening in Oregon. But United was unable to prevail, which ultimately ended its three-game winning streak.

Portland kicked off the night with a goal in the third minute of the game from a forward for the Timbers, Foster Langsdorf.   

The remainder of the first half remained slightly insignificant as the score stayed at 1-0. Each team had near attempts but were unable to get the ball to the back of the net. The first half ended with only one goal and three total yellow cards.

In the second half, the players returned to the field ready to play. After some back in forth from both teams, the Timbers put up an extra score after a left corner goal from Timber midfielder, Ryan Sierakowski.

With New Mexico behind by two, United needed to apply some pressure and got an opportunity.

In the 64th minute, Portland gave up a penalty kick after new comer to the Timbers, Caleb Kiner, fouled inside the penalty area on United’s Josh Suggs. 

Kevaughn Frater, a forward for New Mexico, stepped up to kick after Suggs drew the foul, but cracked under the pressure, kicking the ball high left of the goal - an unfortunate miss for New Mexico. 

The disappointment didn’t last long though as midfielder, Santi Moar, took a difficult right footed shot and was able to find the back of the net in the 72nd minute, putting United on the board against the Timbers, 2-1. 

Portland was able to keep their lead after a short two minutes passed and managed to add another point to board. What seemed to be an arguable penalty from New Mexico’s Toni Soler on Langsdorf, Portland was awarded a penalty kick that resulted in a goal from Timber captain, Todd Wharton.  

New Mexico’s challenge only increased as more attempts were missed and defender, Manny Padilla, was sent off for his second yellow card of the match. It was United’s, David Estrada, who brought in the final goal for the night with three minutes left in the game. With an assist from Devon Sandoval, Estrada took a right-footed shot from the center and got the ball in, ending the game 3-2, Portland. 

This was New Mexico United’s first game after an eight-day break. The team had a total of 22 fouls,  four yellow cards and one red card in the match. United head coach, Troy Lesesne, walked off the field obviously disappointed in the team’s performance.

As for the Timbers 2, the win is their first since June 22. 

United fans will be able to watch the team in action on Aug. 17th, 2019, as New Mexico plays at home against LA Galaxy 2. The match begins at 7:30 p.m. at Isotopes Park. 

Alanie Rael is Co-Sports Editor and a reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @AllyRael