Men’s rugby suffer tough loss against Arizona

After a late start to the match, the University of Arizona men’s rugby team defeated the University of New Mexico on Saturday afternoon at the University of New Mexico’s Johnson Field during a home game. 

Only a couple passes after the opening kick, the Lobos broke away during an open play and ran down the field for their first and only score of the game, including the conversion kick. The beginning of the match seemed to have started on a high note for the Lobos but took a turn as the Wildcats started to rack up their points. 

Almost immediately after UNM scored, the Wildcats inched their way closer to the goal line and put points up on the board.  A quarter way into the half, the teams were tied, 7-7. 

Through the rest of the first half, the Wildcats would go on to score three more tries and add a  conversion kick, making the score reach 24-7 at the start of the half. 

On their first possession of the second half, the Wildcats immediately stormed down the field and got past the line of scrimmage again. They made a long conversion kick and Arizona pushed their lead further ahead with the score being 31-7 over the UNM Lobos. 

Nearing the end of the second half, the Wildcats scored two back-to-back tries with one made conversion kick. The aggressive offense brought the opposing team’s total score to 43  with only a few minutes left in the game. 

After a brutal beating from U of A’s rugby program, the match ended 43-7, wildcats,

The UNM men’s team will be traveling to Colorado to play against Air Force Academy on Saturday, Sep. 14, 2019 at 1:00 p.m.

Angelina Pompeo is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter at @PompeoAngelina