Red Rally.jpg

Lobos dance and crowdsurf to live music at Red Rally on Johnson Field Sept.19.

17th Annual Red Rally pumps up students for Rio Grande Rivalry

On Thursday, Sept. 19, about 2,500 people gathered at the University of New Mexico’s Johnson Field to burn down a massive paper effigy of New Mexico State University’s Pistol Pete for the annual Red Rally.

The customary conflagration has been celebrated every year since 2003 to encourage school spirit in anticipation of the UNM and NMSU rivalry football game.

Red Rally is a product of Lobo Spirit — an Associated Students of UNM (ASUNM) agency — who planned the event and constructed the paper giant through a largely volunteer-driven effort.

"Countless hours went into creating the structure of the Aggie," Lobo Spirit Executive Director Kaylee Maxon said. "Red Rally is only made possible by the blood, sweat and countless hours dedicated by these individuals."

UNM Police and Albuquerque firefighters attended the event to keep attendees safe. 

"We just want to be out here to have a presence — so students know we’re out here and that we support them and the football team — and we hope everyone has a fun time at the event and goes home safe," UNMPD Officer Eric Peer said.

UNM’s Spirit Marching Band and the Cheer Squad participated in full force to support the honorees of the event — the football team. The football team wasn’t shy in expressing their appreciation for the student body as the team’s leadership took to the stage to rile up the crowd.

"It’s really cool to see all the students come and be together to celebrate a good cause," UNM running back Bryson Carroll said. "As long as we have the fans behind us, we’re going to put on a show."

Also on the stage were several other lively acts. Two DJs set an energetic mood by playing a set throughout the event. ASUNM President Adam Biederwolf encouraged an on-stage dance off. Biederwolf had a clear and resounding message of a deep love for the University.

Finally, UNM President Garnett Stokes took to the stage. Stokes kept her remarks brief before giving the go-ahead to set fire to the massive effigy.

Emily Ortega, a sophomore at UNM, was eager to share why she came out to the event.

"I came out here because I love the Lobos, and I love supporting them," Ortega said.

Although the outcome of Saturday’s game was unclear at the time, the crowd made one message abundantly clear:

“State sucks.”

Daniel Goodwin is a freelance news reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @dg_5353