SHAC.jpg

SHAC is available to all students and others within the Albuquerque community. August 30, 2019.

SHAC holds open house

The University of New Mexico Student Health and Counseling (SHAC) held an open house for the UNM community on Aug. 23. This open house was held to allow the UNM community see what services are available through SHAC and covered by student fees.

According to SHAC Program Specialist Tiffany Martinez-Durant, the open house was a success. 

“We ordered food for 200-300 people which was gone halfway through the event” she said. SHAC has a combined 4,000 followers on social media with their focus being on Instagram, SnapChat and Facebook

Marya Vasquez, the Associate Director of SHAC said 2019-2020 will be a good year because SHAC will be expanding. The construction will begin in September or October, she said. 

“The expansion will include the pharmacy, which will have a storefront that will open onto the plaza,”  Vazquez said.

Counseling, health promotion, allergy and immunization, and travel health will all also benefit from the expansion, she said.

“Last year the SHAC had over 32,000 face to face visits between medical and counseling appointments,  with counselling seeing 10,000 of those,” Vazquez said, adding that “there were over 600 x-rays taken, 20,000 prescriptions filled, 20,000 labs performed.”  

Medical and counseling services that are offered include:

The Student Health and Leadership Council:

This is a student group which meets once a month to talk about health-related topics pertinent to theUniversity. This group also coordinates outreach and educational events. 

Primary Care:

Appointments can be made for routine physical exams, women’s and men’s health, travel, nutrition, acupuncture, LGBTQ health, physical therapy and referrals to specialists. 

Same-Day Appointments:

These are available for medical concerns that need immediate attention.

SHAC After Hours:

For those that have medical questions after SHAC has closed,  a phone number is provided for medical questions after hours. The number is (505) 277-3136. Select option two for medical and option three for mental health.

Pharmacy:

Prescriptions from any licensed practitioner can be filled here. The pharmacy also provides other items such as over the counter medications, the same types of products as found at Walgreens or CVS.

Laboratory & X-Ray:

These services are available to help meet the diagnostic needs of the students. 

Counseling Services: 

These services include assessment, short-term individual therapy, crisis intervention, consultation, psychiatric medication evaluation and follow-up, AD/HD treatment evaluation and referral for students needing services beyond SHAC’s scope or capacity. 

Allergy & Immunization:

This clinic offers preventative immunizations, allergy injections, and world travel immunizations and information. 

Massage Therapy: 

Students can schedule a 50-minute session with a licensed massage therapist. 

Health Promotion: 

These services are available to students at no charge. Programs included are Condom-Mint (free condoms and mints at multiple sites on Main Campus) and the Lobo Wellness (support from a nutritionist and a personal trainer). 

SHAC is located on Main Campus north of Johnson Center and across the mall from the Student Union Building (east side). There is limited patient parking is available behind the facility.