United Gamejpg.jpg

New Mexico United's Santiago "Santi" Moar (11) celebrates with fans after winning against Las Vegas Lights FC Saturday Oct. 19. The win gave United a playoff berth.

United reserves playoff seat in season finale

New Mexico is in the playoffs. 

It seemed unlikely going in, and they can’t take all the credit, but New Mexico United made the USL Championship playoffs after beating Las Vegas Lights FC 2-0 on Saturday night, Oct. 19.

It would be a different story if not for San Antonio FC.

Hosting a hobbled Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC at home, San Antonio handed the game to Colorado Springs after an own goal and a score from the 10-man Switchbacks. That game, which ended during halftime of United’s game, gave New Mexico a win-and-you're-in opportunity.

United moved the ball into Lights territory early, taking three shots on goal (earning two corner kicks in the process) in the first ten minutes, but to no avail. The early onslaught ended with Lights goalkeeper Adam Hobbs leaving the game due to an injury. The Lights managed to keep United out of the box for the next 20 minutes.

At the 37-minute mark, backup goalkeeper Thomas Olsen collided with defender Gabe Robinson, throwing both Vegas players off their feet. With both men on the floor, it allowed New Mexico's Chris Wehan an easy bunt into the Vegas goal for United’s first goal of the match.

Late in the game, Daniel Bruce beat out a Lights defender and shuffled the ball to Devon Sandoval, who slotted in another easy score for New Mexico. The two-goal advantage was enough to send United to the playoffs in its inaugural season.

During the game, the tense atmosphere of Isotopes Park was palpable and perhaps most evidently expressed early when Wehan ricocheted a shot around the Las Vegas goal. The 13,788 fans were fooled by a shaking net, exploding with excitement after the apparent goal. As the crowd died down, realizing the situation on the field, a single silent firework flew into the sky. Lucky for United's firework staff, they had two more opportunities to fire off.

New Mexico hadn't won a match since Sept. 14. Drawing and losing throughout September, United managed to stay in playoff contention after a short stretch in the number one spot in the Western Conference table in May.

In the first round of the USL Championship playoffs, United will play seventh seed Sacramento Republic FC in California on Oct. 23. Because of its own seeding, New Mexico won’t be playing any playoff games at home.

New Mexico has split its past two games against Sacramento. In their first match, United was blanked 3-0 at home in front of a massive crowd of over 14,000. United then returned the favor, walking into Papa Murphy's Park and earning a 2-1 win.

Justin Garcia is the Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Lobo. He can contacted at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Just516garc