MediEvil.jpg

Photo courtesy of yugioh-card.com

The Aux: MediEvil remake is frustrating - just like it's always been

In a remake of MediEvil, fans of the original will have a strong sense of nostalgia with MediEvil, remade.

On Oct. 25, game developer Other Ocean Emeryville and publisher Sony Interactive Entertainment released the new MediEvil. The game was released exclusively on the PlayStation 4 (PS4).

MediEvil, an action-adventure, hack and slash game remake of the 1998 version, brings the comical and spooky story of Sir Daniel Fortesque.

Fortesque is noted as the hero of the in-game town Gallowmere. In life, he leads an army against the evil sorcerer Zorok and his undead army. During the battle against Zorok, Sir Daniel was shot through the eye and left for dead. He is later resurrected, and the adventure begins.

This remake keeps the PlayStation One (PS1) feel with PS4 graphics. Color differences are extremely evident between the two games. The PS1 version looks dark, muddy, monochromatic and empty. The remake's graphics are simple, the colors are bright and happy, and the themes of the game bring back childhood memories of Halloween. For those who have played the original, the brighter colors and atmosphere may be a flaw in game design, but it also makes each element in the game easier to see.

Each level is represented by an area on a map, and each region visited has a different look and color scheme. Levels range from graveyards to farms, to swamps to more. Gameplay changes are subtle between the original PS1 game and the PS4 remake. The health bar, shield bar and inventory have been given a more modern look. Each is displayed in the upper left corner and the bottom of the screen so it is less distracting.

A major downfall of the game is that it still controls like a PS1 game. The controls are slippery and cause Sir Daniel to run around the levels wildly. This causes the game to become frustrating, especially during boss battles. The character also swings and shoots his weapons recklessly, which makes attacking difficult.

Even the most basic enemies are strong, and the lack of control over attacks is annoying. The camera angles of the game can also be frustrating as they cannot be changed at times. MediEvil can be quite a difficult game, only saving after you complete each level. You receive life vials to keep you alive at each level.

Once you use up your life vials, you get a "game over" and must start the level from the beginning. Thankfully the levels are not too big, but there is a lot to collect if you want to get to 100% completion. There are a variety of weapons in the game like a sword, crossbow and your own arm. There are also various levels of shields you can find throughout the game. Each shield has a different level of protection it can give you.

One nice thing about the game is that it has two different endings: One for beating the game and one for collecting all the Chalices of Souls on the map. Unlocking a Chalice of Souls gets you new weapons and extra life vials. On top of that, the game has a beautiful orchestral soundtrack. There are organs, violins and choirs that make you feel like you’re right in the middle of medieval times.

The music gets louder as you engage in boss fights. Different levels have different musical compositions to complement their themes. For many, the MediEvil remake was worth the 20-year wait. For others, it was a frustrating return to a PS1 classic. For some, it is a fun and family-friendly game in a bright and retro style.

MediEvil is rated T and is intended for audiences 13 and up.

Caitlin Scott is a freelance reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Caitlin69123118