Football.jpg

New Mexico Lobos lost to Nevada Wolf Pack in Reno, Nevada on Nov 2, 2019.

Photo Courtesy of New Mexico Football via twitter (@UNMLoboFB)

Wolf Pack hands Lobos sixth consecutive loss

The University of New Mexico football team continued its freefall as the Lobos lost to the University of Nevada over the weekend. The loss added to their losing streak, which has now reached six games in a row.

The loss also knocked the Lobos (2-7) out of bowl contention for the third consecutive season.

The game kicked off with UNM winning the coin toss and choosing to punt the ball to Nevada. Nevada’s possession lasted only for a few minutes when the Lobo defense forced a punt.

The Lobos started from their 10-yard line but would put together an eight-play, 90-yard drive that ended with a 4-yard touchdown run from running back Ahmari Davis that put the Lobos up 7-0.

The next possession for Nevada ended with a punt to the Lobo 24-yard line. However, the Lobos were forced to punt the ball back to Nevada soon after. Nevada managed to go on a 15-play drive that consumed the remainder of the first quarter and half of the second quarter, which ended with a touchdown run evening the score at 7 apiece.

The Lobos responded poorly to the Wolfpack touchdown, going three and out and giving Nevada the ball back. Nevada capitalized as quarterback Carson Strong threw a 56-yard touchdown pass to Romeo Doubs, putting Nevada up 14-7.

The Lobos then went on a nine-play drive, but it stalled out around the Nevada 36-yard line. New Mexico tried for a 53-yard field goal, but it was short of the goalpost. This gave Nevada enough time to try and score before halftime, but the Lobo defense stayed resolute and forced a turnover. The Lobos finished the half kneeling to run down the game clock.

UNM received the ball to begin the second half, and Andrew Shelly kicked a 49-yard field goal to cut into the Nevada lead, 14-10. The Lobos then forced a Nevada punt, but neither team put up any points for the rest of the third quarter — each team’s defense put the brakes on the opposing offense.

The beginning of the fourth quarter saw the Lobos punt the ball back to Nevada, but the Lobo defense forced Nevada to return possession in kind. With UNM unable to make anything out of the possession, Nevada struck when they got the ball back and scored a 20-yard touchdown catch by Elijah Cooks that put Nevada up 21-10.

The Lobos made it interesting by forcing a three-and-out by Nevada with 4:31 left in the fourth quarter, but a turnover on downs sealed UNM's fate as Nevada ran out the clock and finished out the game 21-10.

Tevaka Tuioti, who continues to start at quarterback in place of the suspended Sheriron Jones, went 19 of 36 for 237 yards passing, while Ahmari Davis had 80 rushing yards and a touchdown.

New Mexico will face Air Force (7-2) next Saturday, Nov. 9 at 12 p.m. at Dreamstyle Stadium.

Spencer Butler is a sports reporter at the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @SpencerButler48