SALE.jpg
Butter on sale at Smith's on Yale boulevard and Lead avenue.

Affordable meals for college students to survive 2020

With 2020 rolling in a new year and decade, University of New Mexico students may begin to scramble around for their next meal.  

UNM offers three different meal plans: the lobo, the silver and the red, as well as an array of different plans for dining dollars and various places around campus to eat. 

Besides La Posada, UNM’s campus offers places like Einstein’s Bagel Bros, the Student Resource Center, Mandalay at Freshbox and the Union Club on the first floor of the Student Union Building — each of which are meal swipe friendly locations where a rushing college student can grab something to go between classes. 

Additionally, for students looking to make something in their dorm that is ready to go or easily warmed up in the microwave, there are plenty of affordable options. 

Microwaved eggs are an easy and quick way to make sure that a Lobo can get their most important meal of the day and still be on time for their 8 a.m. class. 

A dozen eggs cost as little as $1.60 at a local Walmart, and one can be cooked in the microwave between 30 seconds and three minutes. 

Pepper and salt are a good way to spice things up a bit, but keeping things healthy by buying fresh produce from a local supermarket is also important. 

Another breakfast simple alternative is oatmeal. Oatmeal can come in individual packets and a student can just put a bowl in the microwave while doing last-minute homework during the early morning. At Walmart, a box with 20 bags of Quaker Instant Oatmeal can be bought for $3.24. Individual bowls of Quaker Instant Oatmeal only cost a dollar and come in a variety of flavors. 

An interesting food option that can be frozen for up to a month is rice and beans. Cooking doesn’t have to be a hassle either; each dorm provides a commons area with a stove and microwave to pre-cook a healthy dinner or a late-night snack.

Sandwiches are easy to make, and depending on the way a student spends, it can be a cheap meal too. Sandwiches can also be frozen and warmed up at any point. 

Great Value white bread only costs $0.98 at Walmart, a 9-ounce Great Value package of lunch meat costs at $2.50, and a 12 slice package of Great Value cheese only costs $2.22. 

With that cheese still on hand, a potato can be microwaved for a quick baked potato. For the best potato, two to four minutes is the perfect time to cook the dish. Cover it in cheese, pepper and salt. A bag of potatoes only costs $1.77 at a local Walmart. 

For that Lobo who gets sick the first week back at school, A can of soup costs a dollar at Walmart and can be cooked in the microwave or on a stovetop. 

Quesadillas are another easy and affordable favorite meal to make. A bag of Great Value tortillas costs $1.70 at Walmart, sliced cheese from the sandwiches and On the Border salsa is $2.24. 

The legendary Maruchan ramen packet cannot be overshadowed when discussing college-affordable meals A box with 12 count ramen packets cost $1.94, but for the fellow Lobo that likes to eat from a cup, a box with six-count can be bought for $1.60 from a local Walmart. 

For dessert, Betty Crocker Mug Treats is a college student’s dream. They can be bought for $2.97 at a local Walmart. 

On the healthier side, Great Value has four-count packages of yogurt that costs $1.24 or Yoplait has 8 count packages of yogurt that can be bought for $3.98. Individually, each Yoplait yogurt can be bought for $0.60 in various different flavors: strawberry, blueberry, peach and more.

Although the SUB may have plenty of options for a hungry college student, saving money and spending better is ideal with a focused meal plan and strategies to getting the proper brain food. 

Ellie Aikman is a Freelance Reporter for the Daily Lobo and can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @eaikman1230