Photo Story: Bosque nature walk highlights importance of cottonwoods

As the sun rose early Sunday morning, eager hikers gathered at the Albuquerque Open Space Visitor Center for the monthly “Bosque Wild!” guided nature walk. 

Richard Shackley, a volunteer steward at the center, led the group out of the building and into the desert forest towards the east.

“Open Space aims to protect and preserve the natural environment,” Shackley said.

According to the City of Albuquerque’s webpage, the Open Space program began in 1969, and now oversees nearly 30,000 acres of land. One of the most important hallmarks of this section is the cottonwood tree.

“Ever since the last flood, we have not had a preferred environment for cottonwoods to reproduce,” Bob Muller, another volunteer steward, said.

Since the Cochiti Dam opened in 1973, cottonwoods in the Bosque have suffered. The trees depend on flooding to clear the soil and spread their seeds, but the dam has prevented flooding in the area. The Open Space Program is making an effort to plant saplings to save the population. 

“Without these plantings,” Muller said, “the cottonwoods are doomed to leave us.”

There are bigger problems facing the flora and fauna living in this environment – us. 

“In the big picture, climate change is the biggest threat,” Shackley said. “If climate change was slower, (the environment) could adapt.”

If you would like to help, you can sign up to be a Trail Watch Volunteer to aid the Open Space program. Call (505) 897-8860 or email Dionne Epps at depps@cabq.gov for more information.

Liam DeBonis is a freelance photographer for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @LiamDebonis