Talking Drums shooting.jpg

APD officers on scene after a shooting west of UNM's main campus on March 11, 2020.

APD investigates shooting west of campus

Three suspects fled on foot

The Albuquerque Police Department is investigating an area west of the University after they said a man was shot near the FreeRange coworking space on Central Avenue Wednesday afternoon.

APD spokesperson Gilbert Gallegos said in a statement provided to the Daily Lobo that officers were dispatched to 1710 Central Avenue SE shortly after noon in response to a shooting call. APD officers found a victim, later identified as Carlos Nolasco, half a block away on the corner of Central and Pine with at least one gunshot wound "near his upper torso."

The shooting preceded a campus-wide Lobo alert warning "APD out at shooting at 7-11. Central/University. Avoid the area."

The alert, issued at 1:11 p.m., said three suspects, one in an olive shirt, one in a baseball cap and one in unknown clothing fled the area on foot. The suspects fled in different directions on Gold Avenue, according to the emergency message.

University of New Mexico police are not involved in the investigation, according to UNMPD Lt. Larry Bitsoih.

Nolasco was transported to the hospital in critical condition but is expected to survive, according to Gallegos.

Andrew Gunn contributed reporting to this article.

Justin Garcia is the Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Just516garc