NHCC 1.JPG

Extended photo of the Mundos de Mestizaje in the National Hispanic Cultural Center.

Fresco painting stands at center of first annual Mundos de Mestizaje

National Hispanic Culture Center (NHCC) brought a more than 3,000-year-old Hispanic history to life at the first annual History Festival, Mundos de Mestizaje

Mundos de Mestizaje or worlds of cultural mixing, created by Frederico Vigil inspired the National Hispanic Culture Center to use the artwork as an educational piece that explores Hispanic history. The art piece is an embedded masterpiece of images that connects among different arts, sciences, language, migration, and celebrations within the cultural exchange.  During this event, many local New Mexicans came to participate in this workshop. 

Rosalie Esquivel, a presenter for this weekend’s workshop introduced the process of Vigil’s painting — fresco. The process wasn’t as easy as presented with cardboard paper, but instead involves applying wet paint to wet lime plaster. The art piece is very time consuming, but a very durable form of artwork. Once he understood the process, Vigil became the trademark of his art.

“Frederico took about two and a half years to talk it over with the NHCC founder, he a had a group of five scholars and historians that helped him, and they had a discussion on which image would make it in the mural,” Esquivel said.

Mundos de Mestizaje is located in the Torreon on the NHCC campus, which is open on Saturdays and Sundays from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.