image_handler.jpg
UNM golfer Sam Choi.

Sam Choi named to the 2020 Arnold Palmer Cup Team

Sam Choi, a sophomore on The University of New Mexico’s men's golf team, has been named to the 2020 Arnold Palmer Cup International Team for his outstanding performance this season.

Choi, originally from the Republic of Korea, was one of two members from the Mountain West to earn a spot on this prestigious team, which mostly consists of individuals from Power-5 programs. The nod adds to an impressive list of accolades, as Choi was selected as a 2018-2019 Co-Freshman of the Year and has twice won Mountain West Golfer of the Week award.

This year, Choi registered three top-5 finishes, including a win at the John Burns Intercollegiate hosted by Hawaii on Feb. 20-22, his first individual victory in his collegiate career.

The other top-5 finishes included a third-place finish at January’s Arizona Intercollegiate in Tucson, Arizona, and a fifth at the Maridoe Intercollegiate in Carrollton, Texas. 

Choi recorded season-low rounds of 66 three times this year and solidified his place as the Lobos’ ace, leading the team in five of eight competitions this season, including the last three.

Previous members of the Arnold Palmer Cup rosters have seen great success, as over 100 former players who earned the distinction went on to play professionally.

Created in 1997, the Arnold Palmer Cup resembles a Ryder Cup-style tournament, where the top men’s and women's collegiate golfers play in two teams, one for international players and one for members from the United States.

The announcement on Friday, March 27, also addressed the current state of the tournament. While it is scheduled to take place from July 3-5 this summer, the tournament’s organizers have said that the status of the event, which would take place at Lahinch Golf Club in Lahinch, Ireland, remains unclear as the tournament may get canceled or postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Spencer Butler is a sports reporter at the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @SpencerButler48.