Textbooks.JPG
A stack of textbooks.

How to stay motivated in isolation

For students who spend the majority of their time on campus or doing extracurricular activities, maintaining isolation can become quite the challenge, if it hasn't already.

To prevent the spread of coronavirus, governments around the world have ordered its citizens to practice isolation within their homes and maintain a social distance of at least six feet apart from others. Groups of more than 10 people are highly discouraged, if not banned outright.

On March 23, Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham and the New Mexico Department of Health officially declared the public health emergency order which states that all business and nonprofit entities shall be closed except for those deemed essential while providing additional restrictions on mass gatherings due to COVID-19.

According to the New Mexico Department of Health, as of April 3, there are 495 confirmed cases of COVID-19.

To make sure you don't completely lose your routine and maintain a positive attitude, here are some helpful tips on how to stay motivated during isolation.

Have a schedule

No longer having the ability to leave our houses can have a huge impact on our time usage. Having to do our daily 24 hours in one place could make us lose track of time and fail to be productive. Maintaining a schedule can be a great tool to help you achieve your goals and priorities. You might learn that there is plenty you can do when you manage your time.

Have a routine

Before isolation, we all had some form of a routine we followed each day according to the activities in which we took part. Not being able to go to my classes each day took me out of my comfort zone, which is why I found it relieving to have a routine alongside my housemates. We wake up at the same time every day, have breakfast, work out and keep up with our online classes, among other activities. Having a routine helps us keep busy and maintain a good attitude toward the situation we currently live in. Not every routine needs to be the same but just organizing one can help to keep our lives as similar as they were.

Exercising

Working out isn't everyone's favorite activity (including myself), but in all honesty, it has been a great way to stay motivated. My housemates and I decided to make the best of isolation by working to reach our health and fitness goals. During the year it can be hard to keep up with these goals, school and work — often using the latter as excuses to not exercise. Now that we are isolated, the outside work has lessened and excuses are out, so let's work out!

Try new hobbies

Same as working out, trying new activities can be hard when you have a busy work schedule. Some of us already had different hobbies but most took place outside of our homes. Now we have the opportunity to branch out. Some examples of indoor activities are cooking, dancing, drawing, painting and even learning a new language. Maybe there was a hobby you've always wanted to try but never had the time. Who knows, maybe you have an extra talent you never knew you had.

Make sure the sunlight hits you every once in a while

I lived in Michigan for a while and trust me, the weather can have a huge impact on your mood. Sunshine can really help to stay motivated and not sulk thanks to confinement. Open your curtains and let your room brighten up as much as you can during the day. While Lujan Grisham has not yet banned walks around the neighborhood, she advised against going to places like the park and asked people to limit their time outside.

Keep in contact with your loved ones

Isolation will help prevent the spread of COVID-19, which also means it will prevent us from spending time with our family and friends. Motivate each other, talk about your day, your classes and what goals you hope to accomplish by the time isolation is over. Most importantly, remind each other that after this situation ends, you will see one another.

Hopefully, these tips will help you stay motivated during isolation.

Remember to comply with isolation rules and avoid all non-essential trips to public spaces. It's the duty of all to help stop the spread of COVID-19.

Annya Loya is a beat reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @annyaloyaDL