youtube story jpeg copy.jpg
Collage by Joseph McKee.

YouTube channels to stay motivated (and entertained) during the pandemic

With no relief in sight as the coronavirus pandemic continues to devastate the United States, it can be difficult for students to stay motivated when all they want to do is glue themselves to their phones and watch YouTube. The solution? Watching videos that are motivational enough to jump right out of bed to work out, study or try new recipes.

Workout Channels:

Yoga with Adriene

Yoga with Adriene is a YouTube channel wherein Adriene Mishler, a certified yoga instructor, guides her viewers through yoga sessions of different lengths and topics.  For example, Mishler has a video on her channel, titled “Yoga for Writers,” to help people that sit at their desk all day and need relief for their brain and wrists.

Mishler permits her viewers to let go of the stresses they carry and focus on caring for their bodies. One of her videos, titled “Yoga To Feel Your Best,” was practically made for college students.  It is just over twenty minutes long, and the combination of movement and breath has helped refresh my mind countless times.

The Fitness Marshall

The Fitness Marshall has energetic dance workout videos, full of modern pop music.   Caleb Marshall and his friends, Allison Florea and Haley Jordan, accompany him during the fun, quick cardio guides.

These videos are perfect for the morning because they are brief, energetic and can launch viewers into a productive day.

Study Motivation Channels:

Vee Kativhu

Vee Kativhu, a graduate student at Harvard University, creates videos about her study routines, what it is like to be a person of color at a prestigious university and shares her academic career’s exciting moments.

I find her videos extremely helpful when I need motivation during a break because she is deeply passionate about education, which solidifies my desire to learn as much as I can during my time in college.

Ali Abdaal

Ali Adbdaal, a practicing doctor at Cambridge University, creates videos that consist of ways for students to optimize their productivity.  Some of them discuss productivity in a broad sense, i.e., “How to be More Productive in Lockdown,” and some of them focus on more specific aspects of productivity in videos such as “How I Type REALLY Fast (156 Words per Minute).”

Abdaal’s channel is helpful for viewers who want to optimize their working time to spend time doing what is truly important to them.

Cooking Channels:

emmymadeinjapan

Emmy Cho creates videos documenting her unusual experiments in the kitchen. While she creates a lot of videos making extravagant foods, such as a “Boba Lava Cake,” she also has a series titled “Hard Times,” which draws inspiration from economic scarcity.

“Hard Times” educates viewers on world history and motivates them to create something delicious with everyday items. This YouTube channel is a fantastic resource for students, because it spreads the message that food doesn’t have to be unreasonably expensive to be delicious and unique.

Get Curried

The multi-host YouTube channel “Get Curried” features international recipe tutorials for healthy, delicious foods based on a variety of cuisines. The channel has a 55-video playlist dedicated to mouth-watering vegetarian recipes, such as Mushroom Curry, which is delightfully spicy and satisfying.

“Get Curried” encourages viewers to cook meals full of fresh ingredients and sample a wide range of international recipes.

Sarah Bodkin is a freelance reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @sarahbodkin4