Situated between a barber shop and a tattoo parlor, the exterior of Rebel Prints off Third street in downtown Albuquerque appears unassuming at first glance. But if you walked in on the afternoon of April 16, you would’ve been treated to a wide array of artwork and apparel in a particular shade of green.

This wasn’t your average art pop-up; it was the “Roll into Spring Cannabis Inspired Art Show” hosted by Rebel Prints from 4:20 to 7:10 p.m. The description of the event posted on Facebook stated, “Here we go Yo! Let's Roll into Spring with a fresh look on going Green. Live Art! Chill Vibes! Masks Required.”

Iconic leaves, reddened eyes and lighters were plentiful among the artwork adorning the walls of the studios crafted by 13 local artists. Screen-printed t-shirts made by Karl Bautista, the owner of Rebel Prints, would satisfy any cannabis enthusiast’s needs. A vendor market out back hosted an additional eight artists selling their goods.

Chill vibes were aplenty at this show, which had everything from beadwork to handmade jewelry, and prints of paintings that were both 4/20 inspired and not. Every artist at the show was passionate about their craft and more than happy to talk to guests about their work.

Coming from the Laguna Pueblo, Bautista said he didn’t discriminate against any artist and wanted to uplift newer and younger artists because “the way we’re taught and raised is to have a communal based life and to offer all of our stuff to everybody at any time.”

Bautista also said 100% of the profits from sales of the pieces hanging on the walls goes directly back to the artists because of the financial strain put on them by the pandemic.

When asked about the theme of the pop-up and the recent legalization of recreational cannabis, Bautista said it was coincidental how close together Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham’s signing of the bill and his art show were.

“Bob Ross is one of my idols and he always says ‘It’s a happy little accident,’ so this is a happy little accident. Because of 4/20 I wanted to be able to just kind of fit in and get that flow with what’s going on in time” Bautista said.

Shelby Kleinhans is a beat reporter and staff photographer at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @BirdsNotReal99