University of New Mexico alumna Courtney Frerichs won a spot on the U.S. Olympic Track and Field team in the 3000m steeplechase and current Lobo student Abdirizak Ibrahim advanced to the semifinals for the men’s 1500m at the U.S. Olympic Track and Field Trials on Thursday night.

Frerichs, who graduated from UNM in 2016, finished in second place in the finals for the 3000m steeplechase with a time of 9 minutes, 11.79 seconds, securing herself a spot at the Tokyo Olympics. Frerichs earned a spot in the final round after finishing in fifth place of the first round last Sunday.

Frerichs was a member of the 2015 National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I Women’s Cross Country Championship team at UNM, and has been a member of Team USA once before when she ran the 3000m steeplechase at the 2016 Rio Olympics. She also currently holds the American and North American records in steeplechase as well as the sixth all-time fastest steeplechase with a time of 9:00.85.

Ibrahim, former two-time National Junior College Athletic Association All-American, competed in the third of three heats and finished seventh in his heat and 10th overall with a time of 3:40.04, advancing to the semifinal round taking place on Friday. The semifinal round will have two heats where the fastest five finishers from each heat and the two next best finishes overall will advance to the finals on Sunday.

Two more former Lobos will be competing on Saturday in the women’s 10,000m finals: Weini Kelati and Ednah Kurgat.

Matthew Salcido is the sports editor at the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @baggyeyedguy