volleyball recap.jpg.jpg

Members of the UNM women's volleyball team gather last month to celebrate a win.

UNM volleyball beats Boise State 3-1

The University of New Mexico volleyball team beat Boise State University 3-1 in a home match at Johnson Center on Saturday. With this win, UNM is 14-3 for their season and 5-1 in conference play, tied for first in the Mountain West Conference.

The Boise State Broncos promised to be one of UNM’s toughest opponents yet as the Broncos entered the match with 14 wins and only three losses. Boise State has averaged a 0.266 kill percentage throughout the season compared to UNM’s 0.248 percentage.

“We came into the game knowing it was going to be one of the biggest tests of the season so far and the highlight is we didn’t back down,” head coach Jon Newman-Gonchar said. “We never backed down. (Boise State) is one of the best teams in the league.”

Boise State was tied with UNM for first place in the Mountain West Conference coming into the match, and Newman-Gonchar said facing them was a great learning opportunity for UNM. 

Outside hitters Kaitlynn Biassou and Uxue Guereca led the Lobos again offensively. Biassou had a total of 19 kills and two aces with a 0.438 hit percentage. She also scored 22.5 points, second this season only to her 30 point explosion against Utah State University on Thursday. Guereca also added new season highs with 18 kills and 19.5 points for her best offensive performance of the season. She also had a 0.378 hit percentage and 10 digs. Both Biassou and Guereca are in the Mountain West Conference’s top 10 for points per set, and Biassou is tied for 61st in points per set nationally.

After being off of the court for four matches due to unspecified reasons, freshman middle blocker Elizabeth Woods came back strong. Woods had a total of seven kills with a 0.286 hit percentage against Boise State. She also had five total blocks and 9.5 points, tying her season high for most she has scored in a single match this season.

“It’s nice to have her back,” Newman-Gonchar said. “She did a great job. She’s a threat at the net.” 

Backup outside hitter Kassie McGill rounded out the Lobos’ hitting positions with a total of three blocks alongside Woods and fellow outside hitter Avital Jaloba.

The Lobos will continue their season with an away game on Oct. 14 against Colorado State University, who is also currently 5-1 in conference play.

Annya Loya is a freelance reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @annyaloya