student mental health.jpg

A desk sits alone in the middle of an empty classroom.

Mental Health Matters: Solutions to students’ mental health crises

The COVID-19 outbreak was declared a pandemic approximately one year and nine months ago — almost half the time it takes to complete a typical bachelor’s degree and nearly the entire average to complete a typical master’s degree. While some students have experienced college knowing nothing but the pandemic and others look back on a time when things weren’t so chaotic, all feel the same weight on their shoulders as they attempt to finish a degree while the national death toll creeps over 5.26 million.

“I have found that there really aren’t many young adults in college who don’t struggle at least in some realm with mental health,” Quinlyn McBrayer, a postgraduate student studying nutrition, said. “I think that there is definitely a pressure put on young people to not only be in college but also to succeed right off the bat in college.”

COVID-19 rates in New Mexico have recently been spiking, rising to a rate that the state hasn’t seen since the peak of the pandemic in late 2020. The unknowns of the pandemic have created stressors for many students, but Stephanie McIver, counseling director of Student Health and Counseling, said “part of our stress is the insistence that we go back to normal, and that is likely not going to happen, certainly not anytime soon.”

“If we accept what public health officials are telling us that we are, in fact, in a COVID-era and that variations of the COVID virus may continue to emerge, that’s actually not an unknown. We now know what that’s like and we now know what’s required of us to be safe and so rather than thinking of this future as the unknown, we could actually accept that we now know,” McIver said.

Emma Mincks, a fifth-year Ph.D. student in the English department, said her mental health as a graduate student has suffered heavily because UNM doesn’t prioritize her education. Rather, because she teaches low division courses, she said UNM uses her as an “exploited teacher” rather than allowing her to focus on being a student.

“I’m not really able to do the things I’m supposed to be doing as a student. It’s kind of like a running joke in our department that we’re the English department but nobody has the time to read a full book,” Mincks said.

Although UNM has resources like the Lobo Food Pantry, Mincks knows many graduate students who can’t buy groceries consistently; she has even experienced that herself. Last April, over a third of UNM students reported facing food insecurity. In order to make a liveable wage, Mincks has to pick up freelance jobs in addition to her studies and teaching.

On top of all of this, Mincks said the pandemic has created a sense of social exhaustion that, combined with dealing with the responsibility of teaching, is difficult to cope with.

“You have this social exhaustion from COVID but you also have the stress of feeling responsible for if a student goes to their second year of college or not,” Mincks said.

McBrayer said the extreme politicization of the pandemic has hurt her mental health, especially as someone who has a chronic illness and wants others to get vaccinated.

The practice of mindfulness, though overlooked by some, makes a substantial difference in individuals’ lives, according to McIver. The American Psychological Association reported that mindfulness has been shown to decrease stress and rumination.

To handle all of her stressors, Mincks goes to counseling, which she said has always been helpful for her. In addition, both Mincks and McBrayer said having their own communities is very helpful. For McBrayer, this is UNM Peers for Advocacy, Wellness and Safety, while Mincks found her community in the United Graduate Workers of UNM.

“Really, honestly, what’s gotten me through so far is the Union effort and the people I’ve met through organizing in the Union … I’ve met a lot of really cool people. Also just realizing that I’m not alone (is helpful). I’m not the only person struggling. It’s not just personal; it’s structural,” Mincks said.

Having a space for privacy and quiet is extremely important to maintain good mental health, according to McIver. She also said making time to get enough sleep allows humans to “reset and recharge.”

“One of the big issues that’s increasing stress and anxiety is that we are constantly exposed to information and input. And we’re actually kind of resistant to discontinuing attachment to that,” McIver said.

McIver encouraged students to use the resources available at UNM, and reach out to someone, whether it’s a teacher, SHAC worker or someone else, if they don’t know where to go.

Megan Gleason is the Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @fabflutist2716