Taylor Wach.jpg

UNM fine arts student Taylor Wachs poses inside the art building. 

5 and Why: 5 ways to honor Women’s History Month

With March comes Women’s History Month, and University of New Mexico senior studio art student Taylor Wachs is excited to celebrate. She shared five ways to honor women for Daily Lobo readers.

Represent women artistically

Wachs believes art is a great way to represent people, problems and solutions. She is taking part in a large photographic mural for Women’s History Month and said it’s a great means for representation and appreciation. This, Wachs said, is a kind of project she’d like to see more of.

“We’re designing a whole wall in the art building … a whole public art program,” Wachs said. “Doing something like that is always good.”

The Rainbow Artists, a women’s art collective in Albuquerque, is currently promoting exhibitions by two of their artists, Marian Berg and Janine Wilson. Wilson’s watercolors will be shown at the Rio Grande Art Association exhibition at St. Mark's Episcopal Church until March 15, and Berg’s paintings will be at the New Mexico Cancer Center Gallery until March 20.

Acknowledge women’s progress

Wachs said it’s necessary to pay a great deal of attention to the relatively recent political and socioeconomic advances of women. Wachs, grateful that she’s been able to hold positions of power in workplaces, has “never felt limited or different.”

“(It’s an important) acknowledgement of what women do … the change that’s happened,” Wachs said.

The UNM Health Sciences Center is hosting an event called the Racialized History of American Motherhood & Reproductive Medicine on March 12, and the reproductive overcomings of women of color, neglect in telling their history and modern racial issues in health will be discussed.

Recognize influential women in your life

Wachs, though adamantly surrounded by great women, credits many of her personal successes to a compassionate elementary school teacher. Despite having not seen the teacher since childhood, Wachs still feels strongly influenced by her intelligence, humor and strength. 

“She was just really strong, really funny, really smart, (had) really good morals and guidance,” Wachs said. “I’ll come across other teachers that really remind me of her … It’s nice to see people still hold those (morals).”

The UNM Health Sciences Center is hosting a mentoring event for Women’s History Month on March 17 where female mentors for UNM students will be highlighted.

Discuss continuing issues

Despite the progress of women, issues remain regarding gender equity, and Wachs wants to see people discussing the problems that remain for women. 

“Just having important discussions at school, at home, on campus… Bringing awareness to (inequities) that are still happening,” Watch said. “At work with pay … those sorts of things.”

Wachs’ herself has never felt disadvantaged at work and attributes this to the in-depth conversations and trainings her employers have always had with her and her coworkers. “We did have a lot of trainings … I was in management and we set the tone,” Wachs said.

Celebrate women

Wachs believes that March should be celebratory of women as well as informational. Small acts as simple as games or trivia rounds are, to Wachs, good to step back and celebrate.

“I think being a woman is something to celebrate,” Wachs said.

Events for Women’s History Month are being hosted in many different places, including UNM’s Women’s Resource Center, the UNM Health Sciences Center and more.

Natalie Jude is the culture editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @nataloroni