Delaney Moghanian .jpg

Adobe Creative Campus multimedia development specialist Delaney Moghanian poses outside Zimmerman Library. 

Artist welcomed to UNM faculty, Albuquerque

Delaney Moghanian is a filmmaker and musician who was brought on as a multimedia development specialist with the University of New Mexico’s Adobe Creative Campus. Moganian recently moved to Albuquerque from Los Angeles with her husband, Trevor Marcotte, to expand their production company, New Angeles Productions, and explore a different industry space.

Following more than a decade of working mostly on others’ productions, Moghanian wanted to take a step toward independence in Albuquerque.

“I’ve kind of been through the gamut in the industry,” Moghanian said. “My husband and I, we own our own production company so we do freelance work … The industry has been burgeoning here and there are lots of opportunities for filmmakers and creators.”

Moghanian has struggled to find respect as a woman in film, specifically as a cinematographer, but she values the space she’s made for herself and wants to use her experience to help other women in film.

“One of the most difficult and gratifying experiences was going through the film industry as a woman,” Moghanian said. “The camera department (especially) is heavily sexist and misogynistic and aggressive, but I think it’s an important space for women to fill.”

Marcotte has been witness to Moghanian’s cinematographic advances and her struggles against the common patriarchal values. Marcotte said he’s been impressed by her determination to succeed despite these setbacks.

“It’s totally a boys club, but she totally rose up,” Marcotte said. “She just had the right attitude … I’ve been really impressed.”

Moghanian wants to guide students, especially young women, toward the knowledge that a career as an artist is achievable, starting at the recently-opened Creative Commons in Zimmerman Library.

“I joined UNM in November to lead the new Adobe Creative Commons, which opened up in January,” Moghanian said. “I was told I would never make money as an artist, but it just simply isn’t true … I hope that while I’m at UNM I can help students pursue those goals, to make that creative life a job.”

Marcotte has known Moghanian since the two were in high school starting with musical theater and improv. Marcotte said the pair have always worked well together and with New Angeles Productions, they’ve been able to do their best work.

“We just really thrive on creation and being able to be involved in the entire process,” Marcotte said. “We’ve come up together as independent freelancers … anytime she and I get to work together on a team we flourish.”

Moghanian began her film career as an editor but was introduced to camerawork by Marcotte on the set of “The Real Housewives of Los Angeles” and immediately began to thrive.

“She hated editing. She hated being stuck at a desk,” Marcotte said. “She really took to not just camerawork but cinematography.”

Having worked on projects for Hallmark, various “Real Housewives” series’ and other commercial projects, Moghanian has unearthed her affinity for creative freedom over commerciality.

“It’s a lot of fun to have your own creative agency working with clients,” Moghanian said. “It’s a nice change from … where you just work on what you’re hired to do.”

Moghanian’s creative endeavors also go beyond the screen. She has been writing and recording music for years and taught herself to play the piano during a period of isolation at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.

“I’m also a musician and I released my first album a few years ago,” Moghanian said. “I have 10-plus tracks I’m trying to record and produce.”

Moghanian urges creative individuals to take a leap towards the work they desire.

“I was able to make a living off making pretty pictures,” Moghanian said. “There’s no right way to do it, but if you want to you can.”

Natalie Jude is the culture editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @natalaroni