Best Of: Sports photos

The Daily Lobo photographers have been hard at work all year taking great photos to bring high quality sports coverage to our readers. Here are two photographers’ favorite sports photos from this year.

Mackenzie’s picks

Photo 1

This was one of the best sports photos that I captured during a football game this year.  I was able to get the perfect photo of Lobos running back Bobby Cole and wide receiver Jace Taylor celebrating Cole’s touchdown against the University of Nevada, Las Vegas in November 2021.

I captured the moment where they both were jumping in the air celebrating in a clear, perfect picture. In the photo, you can see how happy everyone in the frame is, from the players jumping and celebrating to the fans in the back cheering them on.

Photo 2

With a ton of action in this perfectly positioned photo, I was able to capture so much in one shot. This was a football game against UNLV in November 2021, and the Lobos' defense was in position, ready to protect kicker Andrew Shelley. Shelley was about to kick the field goal, and I was able to catch the moment right before he did.

The angle I was at was perfect for this photo because it captured the defense and the kicker all in the same frame. Framing is important, and being able to capture all the action happening in this play brings this photo over the edge.

Photo 3

In this photo, I was able to capture Uxue Guereca, outside hitter for Lobos volleyball, as she jumped to spike the ball against San Diego State University in November 2021. I was also able to capture the team’s reaction to her about to spike the ball as I was in the right location for just the right angle. Finding that right angle and location is what can make a photo work, which is the case for this shot.

I also love the team’s blue uniforms, which make them stand out from their environment.

Sharon’s picks

Photo 4

This photograph depicts how anything can happen during a game and emphasizes how important it is to always have your camera ready. Photographing sports requires knowing your gear and surroundings, including the settings in the camera, lens and lighting, and paying attention to what's going on around you while trying to tell a story. Lobos guard Jamal Mashburn Jr.’s willingness to do anything to win the game is clearly illustrated here, and he scored a team-leading 18 points in this game against Grambling State University at The Pit in November 2021.

Photographing sports requires a lot of practice and patience. You either get the shot or don’t. Photographing sports challenges me to become a better photographer by being ready and finding moments.

Photo 5

This photo, taken at The Pit in December 2021, immaculately captures a crucial moment in a men’s basketball game against New Mexico State when UNM took the lead during the second half. Lobos guard Jaelen House is depicted here, celebrating after that.

As an aspiring photojournalist, I aim to photograph moments with every assignment. To do this, I try to watch the reactions from players on and off the court, as well as the crowd and coaches. What’s their reaction? Are they happy or upset?

I think any photographer can photograph sports, but they have to always be looking for moments. In this photograph, the moment is House’s reaction after taking the lead against the Aggies, UNM’s biggest rival.

Mackenzie Schwartz is the photo editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at photoeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @mackenzid5

Sharon Chischilly is a photographer at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at photoeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @schischillyy