Elehuris Montero.JPG

Isotopes infielder Elehuris Montero plays first base during a game against the Tacoma Rainiers on April 14 at Isotopes Park.

Isotopes player Montero called up to major leagues

Editor’s Note: This article was updated on May 1.

Elehuris Montero, previously an infielder and designated hitter for the Albuquerque Isotopes, was called up to play for the Colorado Rockies, taking the place of injured Rockies infielder Kris Bryant, on Friday, April 29.

Montero is listed as available off the bench and is expected to make his major league debut this weekend during the Rockies’ three-game series opener against the Cincinnati Reds.

Montero was a long-standing top prospect for the Rockies. In his time with the Isotopes, he proved to be an astounding hitter for the team, batting a personal record 28 homers in the 2021 season between his time with the Hartford Yard Goats and the Isotopes.

Over the early part of the 2022 season, Montero posted a .806 on-base plus slugging with a .288 batting average. He hit 12 homers for the Isotopes this April.

Son of former Phillies organization pitcher Francisco Montero, Elehuris Montero began playing baseball from a young age and hit his first home run off of his father at the age of 13, according to Major League Baseball. He began his career in 2015 at the age of 16 when he was signed to the Rookie Leagues in a $300,000 deal with the Cardinals, and later posted a .875 OPS and hit 15 home runs in his first season in the minors for the Peoria Chiefs.

A 2019 hamate bone injury put Elehuris Montero out for most of the season, but he was added to the Cardinals roster for the 2020 season before being moved to the Rockies system in a 2021 trade.

Elehuris Montero appeared in the Rockies’ Sunday game against the Cincinnati Reds and finished with four at bats and two hits. Montero was optioned back down to the Isotopes on Sunday after the game.

Zara Roy is the news editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @zarazzledazzle