UNM baseball loses close game to SDSU 11-8

The University of New Mexico played the San Diego State Aztecs on Saturday, April 16 to finish their three-game series against San Diego State in Albuquerque. The Aztecs swept the Lobos, winning all three games in the series. UNM now has a 14-21 record this season and is on a four-game losing streak.

In the first inning, the Lobos sent out Matt Haley as their starting pitcher. Haley gave up a single on the first at-bat against San Diego State’s Irvin Weems. Weems then stole second, and Shaun Montoya singled to send him home. Cole Carrigg singled to score two runners, pushing the San Diego State lead to 3-0. Brian Leonhardt batted in another run, but he was called out at first. Haley then struck out Evan Sipe, ending the top of the first with the Lobos down 4-0.

The Aztecs starting pitcher was Chris Canada. Canada fared slightly better than Haley with two quick outs but still gave up two singles and a walk. With the bases loaded, Canada struck out Kyle Landers and got the Aztecs out of the inning without allowing a single run.

In the top of the second, Haley didn’t allow a hit and got three quick outs. In the bottom of the second, Lobos designated hitter Lance Russell hit a home run, cutting into the Aztec lead 4-1. Shane Podsednik was walked but was later thrown out at third base on a wild pitch, ending the inning.

Haley loaded the bases quickly in the third and Sipe doubled, scoring two. This was followed by an Alex Rodriguez double that scored two runs. Weems singled, allowing Rodriguez to run home. The inning ended on a Montoya ground out with UNM down 9-1.

In the fourth inning, Will Armbruester was subbed in to pitch for the Lobos and had a quick inning where he forced a ground out, flyout and then a strikeout. Canada continued pitching into the fourth inning and did not allow a hit. Armbruester continued his excellent play, not allowing a hit or a run in the fifth. 

Canada walked Sean Stephens to start the sixth inning, and Jeffrey David singled. Kamron Willman doubled to score two runs. Landers hit a sacrifice fly toward right field to make the game 9-4. Canada was subbed out of the game in favor of Eldridge Armstrong III, who helped San Diego get the last out of the inning.

Armbruester allowed one hit in the top of the sixth but struck out Poncho Ruiz to get the last out. Cole Posey hit a home run to left field followed by a David homer to put the Lobos in a close game, only down 9-6. Armstrong was able to finish the inning by striking out Braydon Runion.

To start the seventh, UNM subbed in Justin Still, who forced a ground out but hit Johnny Gianolla with a pitch and gave up a single. Still was able to end the inning with a strikeout and not allow a run.

San Diego State subbed in Jacob Flores to pitch the seventh inning. He gave up a home run to Landers followed by a double from Russell, who was sent home on a Posey single. With Lobos runners on first and second, San Diego State subbed in Avery Jones to pitch. Jones got the last two outs without allowing a run, and the Lobos stayed behind 9-8 heading into the eighth.

UNM subbed in Aaron Makil to pitch, who immediately got a strikeout but then hit two batters and gave up two singles that scored two runs. With the bases loaded, San Diego’s Tino Bethancourt grounded out the Lobos, still down 11-8. San Diego State subbed in Jonny Guzman to pitch the eighth inning. Guzman gave up a double and a single, but he ended the game with two strikeouts and a flyout. UNM lost 11-8 through eight innings.

UNM baseball next plays at home against Texas Tech on April 19. The Red Raiders are on a three-game losing streak but have an impressive 27-11 record on the season. 

Thomas Bulger is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @thomasbulger10 

Thomas Bulger

Thomas Bulger is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @thomasbulger10