Royals.jpg

The British flag flies over Christiansted Harbor. Photo by Karl Callwood on Unsplash

OPINION: Queen Elizabeth II leaves behind legacy of violence, colonialism

Queen Elizabeth II passed away on Sept. 8, 2022. She left behind a legacy drenched in blood from her long imperial reign. Hidden behind the veil of elegance, jewels and wealth, the English monarchy has long stood as a bloodthirsty, villainous force.

One of the most gruesome examples of the violence committed by the monarchy was their response to the Kenyan Mau Mau independence movement in the 1950s. Occurring at the start of Elizabeth II’s reign, English troops sent hundreds of thousands of people in both Kenya and Malaya to be imprisoned in detention camps, enduring forced labor and starvation — acts carried out in the name of the Queen.

Colonialist violence is a hallmark of the Queen’s rule. In Cyprus, the patrols that were used to suppress insurgents were nicknamed “Her Majesty’s torturers,” inherently tying their violence back to the Queen. Over twenty nations that are now free were under her reign at the time she first became queen.

The destruction and despair caused by the British monarchy is reason enough to call for its abolishment.

Beyond the colonial violence, the crown also has a history of pedophilia and incest, with Elizabeth herself married to her own cousin, the late Prince Phillip. In the family, her son Prince Andrew was infamously friends with Jeffrey Epstein, who was responsible for the trafficking of minors to the elite and wealthy. This isn’t a coincidence, but rather a direct result of the power of the monarchy — when Epstein was investigated, Andrew was reportedly shielded from the investigation.

If history proves anything, it’s that with a monarchy comes incest. The idea of not wanting to taint royal blood is littered with racist and classist ideas, ultimately leading to limited options and becoming betrothed to one who had their diaper changed beside you.

There can be logical reasoning to having a head of state that is not the head of government. In other nations, such as Ukraine, they have a president and a prime minister — however, even the representative role of president is not selected based on elitist biases of family inheritance or greed.

Hereditary rule should end with the death of the queen — England should abolish its royal family. Their role in the government is ceremonial in appearance, but massive in the amount of attention and influence they hold. Further, the queen’s association with other atrocious heads of state, such as Hitler and Trump, can further attest to her horrid character.

With their unnecessary role in the English government, history of brutalism and extreme violence and their immoral, disgusting family history, I see no reason for the continuation of their prominence and significance in government. It is long overdue for England to throw out their old-fashioned love and admiration for the pampered family.

Maddie Pukite is the managing editor at the Daily Lobo. They can be contacted at managingeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @maddogpukite