Maddie Pukite

Andrew Bourelle Feature.jpg
Culture

UNM professor hosts long-awaited reading of novel “48 Hours to Kill”

In December 2021, University of New Mexico English professor Andrew Bourelle published his first suspense novel, “48 Hours to Kill.” Due to the fluctuating situation surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, Bourelle never really got a chance to celebrate the achievement in person, which made the Nov. 16 reading of his work hosted by the UNM creative writing department all the more special. While working on “48 Hours to Kill,” Bourelle co-wrote several books with New York Times bestselling author James Patterson. Prior to becoming a fiction author, he worked as a journalist and wrote academic articles while pursuing his doctorate in English.

Policing of the Unhoused lecture.jpg
News

UNM professor presents data on arrests of unhoused individuals in Albuquerque

The evening of Thursday, Nov. 17, Professor Ernesto Longa, a University of New Mexico law librarian, discussed the data he collected surrounding the frequency and circumstances of the arrests of unhoused individuals in Albuquerque. Dozens of community members gathered in the Student Union Building for a lecture held by Salt of the Earth School, in tandem with Students for Socialism. “The statistical summary and key points provided today are based on an inspection of nearly 2,000 misdemeanor felony cases which were filed against 867 unhoused individuals in 2020,” Longa said.

grad union picket.JPG
News

Grad worker’s union pickets for better health insurance, higher wages

On Tuesday, Nov. 15, the United Graduate Workers of the University of New Mexico held a picket starting at the intersection of Las Lomas Road and Yale Boulevard in front of Dane Smith Hall at UNM and then marched to spread petitions across Scholes Hall. The Union called for the University to come to an agreement by their last scheduled bargaining meeting on Dec. 7 so they can finalize a contract. The Union has been at the bargaining table with the University since early May 2022. After recent bargaining sessions, the Union is working toward better healthcare coverage, raises and coverage of parking costs, among other topics.

Oil Election.jpg
News

Environmentalists vote for a cleaner future

After a summer of wildfires — one of which was the largest in New Mexico’s state history, burning 341,735 acres of land — and the Rio Grande becoming dry for the first time in 40 years, the environment remains a point of conversation amongst candidates as election day approaches. Mona Blaber, the communications coordinator for the Sierra Club, a nonpartisan environmental advocacy group, and Kineo Memmer, the director of communications and outreach for the University of New Mexico’s Leaders for Environmental Action and Foresight, both emphasized the importance of these environmental issues and how they are showing up on the ballot on Tuesday, Nov. 8th.

Dis 18 rep candidates preview .JPG
News

PREVIEW: District 18 state house candidates on upcoming elections

The state House of Representatives seat for District 18, in which the University of New Mexico resides, is up for election this November. The two candidates vying for the seat are incumbent Gill Chasey (D), and opponent Scott Cannon (R). The Daily Lobo reached out to both candidates: Chasey agreed to an interview, but Cannon refused to comment after multiple attempts to contact him. Cannon is a small business owner in the fire sprinkler systems trade and according to his campaign website, he supports lower government spending and support for small business owners.

Scribendi Award.JPG
News

UNM student publication Scribendi awarded Pacemaker Award

On Friday, Oct. 28, Scribendi magazine’s 2022 edition was honored as one of 19 winners of the 2022 Pacemaker Award by the Associated Collegiate Press out of 45 finalists. Student magazines nationwide apply for this award, with 45 being named as finalists, according to the ACP. Scribendi is a literary arts magazine published out of the University of New Mexico’s Honors College. It is designed and created by honors students and accepts submissions from honors programs across the U.S.

GALLERY: Protesters injured after riot police arrive at nonviolent protest
News

Protesters injured after riot police arrive at nonviolent protest

On Thursday, Oct. 20th, non-violent protesters gathered outside the Student Union Building at The University of New Mexico to protest the Turning Point USA-sponsored speaking event “How Men Can Fight Fight For Life.” Riot police affiliated with the New Mexico State Police were eventually called in despite the gathering remaining nonviolent. Protesters faced physical force from police that resulted in bruising for some. Julie Bettencourt said she was bruised in the eye by the riot police while protesting that night. Anthony Wallace, acting president of Affordable Student Housing UNM, also told the Daily Lobo that multiple students present that night reported bruising to him and shared an image of bruising on the Instagram account he runs for ASHUNM.

Turning Point Rally
News

Non-violent protesters met with riot police at Turning Point USA-sponsored event

Protesters gathered outside the Student Union Building at the University of New Mexico on Oct. 20 to protest “How Men Can Fight For Life,” a speaking event held jointly between conservative political organization Turning Point USA and UNM organization Students for Life. The event featured speaker Ian Haworth, a conservative and anti-abortion personality. Protesters were met by New Mexico State Police in riot gear, despite the protest remaining nonviolent throughout the night.

Summit Preveiw.jpg
News

Summit to address housing insecurity for Indigenous community

The Office of Native American Affairs in the city of Albuquerque, alongside support from other advocacy groups like the National Indigenous Women’s Resource Center, will be hosting their Indigenous Housing Justice Summit at the Albuquerque Convention Center on Tuesday, Oct. 11. The summit will take place the day after Indigenous Peoples Day and seeks to address housing insecurity within Indigenous communities. Chenoa Bah Stilwell-Jensen, an organizer with the summit and a Communications and Journalism instructor at the University of New Mexico, said they were inspired to host the summit by voices throughout the Indigenous community and to address the ongoing housing crisis both in urban communities and traditional homelands — also known as reservation lands.

More articles »