UNM football trampled by Boise State 31-14

The Lobos lost to the Boise State University Broncos during their second game of the season, putting their record at 1-1 and 0-1 in conference play.

UNM’s defense was unable to fend off the Broncos for all four quarters, giving up 21 points in the second half. The Lobos were never able to get going on offense: 1-14 on third down and an almost nonexistent run game, rushing for a net 25 yards on 27 attempts.

Miles Kendrick threw 9-24 but had little protection from the offensive line, getting sacked six times. Geordon Porter scored the offense’s only touchdown on a 69-yard reception.

On defense, Cody Moon was credited with 1.5 sacks and Ronald Wilson had the team’s only interception.

Christian Washington ran 100 yards on an impressive kick return, scoring the team’s other touchdown.

At kickoff, Luke Wysong returned the ball to UNM’s 22-yard line. The drive started with Kendrick getting sacked by Boise State’s George Tarlas and Demitri Washington. UNM punted on a fourth-and-14 play. The defense started with Jerrick Reed II tackling George Holani for a loss of 4 yards. The defense quickly shut down the drive with the Broncos only getting off four plays.

The Broncos’ defense did not allow UNM’s offense to get going on the next drive, forcing three incomplete passes with no yards gained. UNM’s defense answered right back with Justin Harris and Moon tackling Holani for a loss of 6 yards, forcing Boise State to punt.

On the next drive, Kendrick connected on a pass to Wysong on third-and-eight for a first down. Kendrick was then sacked, though, losing 4 yards. Following an incomplete pass, the offense was bailed out by a personal foul on third-and-ten, giving them an automatic first down. Kendrick was sacked again for the third time in the first quarter and UNM punted on Boise’s 47-yard line.

Broncos quarterback Hank Bachmeier threw for a 47-yard gain, putting Boise in Lobo territory. On third-and-1, the UNM defense held the Bronco offense but was unable to contain them after Holani rushed for a gain of 4 on fourth down, which ended the first quarter.

On the first play of the second quarter, Boise’s Latrell Caples caught a pass for 18 yards and scored the first points of the game. Jonah Dalmas’ extra point attempt was good, putting the Broncos up 7-0.

With the Lobos back on offense, running back Sherod White ran for 21 yards and a first down. Kendrick ran for 7 yards on a scramble and, on fourth-and-1, Nate Jones was unable to pick up the yard, resulting in a turnover. The defense made quick work of the Broncos, only giving up 3 yards on their next drive.

Starting the drive on the 5-yard line, the Lobos were unable to make any progress and were forced to punt. Boise State’s Bachmeier started their drive with a pass to Billy Bowens for a 41-yard gain. A holding call lost the Broncos 10 yards and, on third-and-18, Lobo Donte Martin forced an incomplete pass in the end zone. Dalmas’ 48-yard field goal was good on the next play, though, pushing Boise State’s lead to 10-0.

On the following drive, Boise State was called for a pass interference, giving UNM the first down. Bobby Wooden ran for a gain of 15 for another first down. Jones ran for 8 yards, putting UNM on Boise State’s 28-yard line. This was followed by Kendrick getting sacked for a loss of 9 yards. With three seconds on the clock, George Steinkamp’s 48-yard field goal attempt was no good. Boise State ended the first half up 10-0.

The Broncos started the third quarter receiving the ball on the 25-yard line. UNM’s Moon and Harris sacked Bachmeier for a loss of 7 yards and, on third-and-11, he threw an incomplete pass to end the drive. Kendrick then got sacked twice on the same drive and was unable to get a first down. Aaron Rodriguez’s punt was blocked and the Broncos’ Andrew Simpson recovered the ball in the end zone, scoring a touchdown. Dalmas’ kick was good, putting UNM down 17-0.

Another Boise State penalty on the next drive gave UNM a first down, but Kendrick was sacked again on third down with UNM unable to get any momentum going on offense. UNM defense stopped another drive behind a sack by Moon, though. On third-and-12, Kendrick threw an incomplete pass, but an eventual 50-yard punt put Boise State on the 14-yard line.

On the first play of the fourth quarter, Holani caught the ball for a touchdown. The extra point was good, putting Boise up 24-0. Kendrick threw to Porter for a 69-yard touchdown, finally putting UNM on the board and, with a successful extra point attempt from Luke Drzewiecki, UNM was down 24-7.

On defense, Wilson intercepted a pass, putting UNM on their own 3-yard line. This was followed by a UNM false start, though, moving them back to the 1-yard line. UNM’s offense was unable to get the first down and punted on fourth-and-9.

The Broncos then ran their way down the field on the next drive with three first downs, ending in Riley Smith catching a pass in the end zone for a Boise touchdown. Washington ran for 100 yards on the kick return, though, scoring a touchdown. With the extra point, UNM was down 31-14.

Head coach Danny Gonzalez said postgame that he thought that the blocked punt changed the momentum of the game. He praised the defensive play in the first three quarters of the game, but thought the defense eventually gave in during the fourth quarter.

When asked about his touchdown, Geordan Porter said it was good, but that UNM was ultimately still losing. Going forward, he said that the key to being more competitive will be the preparation going into the week: watching film and getting more reps in during practice.

The Lobos next play in Albuquerque against the University of Texas at El Paso Miners on Saturday, Sept. 17 at 6:00 p.m.

Thomas Bulger is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @thomasbulger10

Thomas Bulger