Volleyball: UNM wins 3-0 against Nevada during Pink Game

The University of New Mexico volleyball team won 3-0 against the University of Nevada, Reno Wolf Pack on Thursday, Oct. 27. The match was also their “Pink Game” of the season for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. 

The match marked the Lobo’s third win in a row after three tough losses. They also took revenge against Nevada after losing 3-2 in an away game on Oct. 15.

“Our goal is to be better…. We're going to be better the second time that we play a team,” head coach Jon Newman-Gonchar said. “And so that's just where we're at right now.”

UNM’s win against the Wolf Pack also marked the beginning of the end of the season, with only seven matches remaining before the Mountain West tournament.

“It's nice to get a little momentum going and we're in that second half of the season now, you know, we're gonna see these teams for the second time,” Newman-Gonchar said.

Outside hitter Uxue Guereca stood tall on the court, leading the team in kills and points. Guereca had a total of 18 kills with a .415 hitting percentage, marking her highest percentage of the season so far. Within the team, she also had the most attempts with 41.

Newman-Gonchar praised Guereca for her performance against Nevada as well as middle blocker Avital Jaloba and outside hitter Kaitlyn Biassou.

“Their hitting percentages are off the charts: they’re unbelievable. I’m really excited for them,” Newman-Gonchar said.

Middle blocker Lea Zurlinden also had a great showing with a .583 hit percentage and a total of seven kills. This match earned Zurlinden her highest hitting percentage of the season.

Setter Anilee Sher backed up the Lobos with a total of 43 assists, which led both teams. Sheralso aided the team with two kills from setter dumps.

“She's a player that comes with a lot of experience. She may not always make the perfect play, but she can respond in a way that gives her team the best advantage,” Newman-Gonchar said.

The Pink Game serves to raise awareness for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The team put on pink bows and the crowd joined in by wearing pink clothing. The team in the past raised money for the cause but it was not possible this season due to scheduling issues, according to Newman-Gonchar.

UNM’s next volleyball game is against San José State University in Johnson Center on Oct. 29.

Annya Loya is the news editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @annyaloya