President Joe Biden visits Albuquerque in support of Michelle Lujan Grisham

On Thursday, Nov. 3, five days before election day, U.S. President Joe Biden visited Albuquerque to support New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham in the upcoming election against Republican candidate Mark Ronchetti as part of one of his last stops on the midterm campaign trail.

The event had several speakers including Albuquerque citizens, representatives and Biden himself, all showing support to keep New Mexico a Democratic state and encouraging New Mexicans to go out to the polls. One of the speakers included Deb Haaland, the U.S. Secretary of the Interior, who urged those at the event to encourage others to vote.

“... Our democracy is on the line. Now it’s time to turn up the dial, to put our heads down, lace up our sneakers, and to run past the finish line. We have to make sure we all turn out the vote,” Haaland said. “It’s all of our responsibility and that our family, friends, and those in communities across New Mexico cast their ballots too.”

Haaland encouraged everyone to “start dialing” and to vote, as did others. Biden emphasized the need to vote throughout his speech, citing how it decides America's future.

“We need to reflect on your governor … We need to elect the ballot up and down. This is why we’re here … There's simply five days, five days to go until the most important elections in our lifetime. That's not hyperbole,” Biden said. “It's going to shape what the next two generations look like because so much is changing. So much. It’s clear this is not a referendum. This is a choice. A choice between two vastly different visions of America.”

Speakers throughout the event spoke on reelecting Lujan Grisham and highlighting what she has done in her time as governor, especially focusing on her views on reproductive rights.

“Republican congress already introduced legislation for a national ban on the right to choose. Michelle's opponent is promising the same thing here in New Mexico, saying he’ll pass a statewide ban,” Biden said. “Instead, Michelle repealed the 1969 law on the books that criminalized abortion. Look, the bottom line is this: if Michelle's opponent wins, the right to choose here in New Mexico is going to go away.”

In her speech, Lujan Grisham said New Mexicans at the rally and beyond are needed for the election.

“We are no strangers to standing up and fighting for our families, not one of us. That is who we are … and it's who I am. And it's why today is so incredibly important,” Lujan Grisham said. “And I feel so energized. I needed you today, and New Mexico needs you … Showing up is the key. We have the voters. We have the will. We are what democracy looks like. It’s us.”

Elizabeth Secor is a beat reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @esecor2003

Elizabeth Secor

Elizabeth Secor is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted on Twitter @esecor2003