Grad Preview.JPG

A student holds their graduation cap at Marron Hall on Tuesday, May 3. 

UNM commemorates fall 2022 graduates

On Friday, Dec. 16, students graduating from the University of New Mexico will celebrate the culmination of their undergraduate careers at The Pit for the fall 2022 commencement ceremony.

“It's something that (graduating students) should be proud (of) … It's a huge accomplishment,” Nancy Middlebrook, the University secretary, said.

This semester’s ceremony includes the traditional welcome by UNM President Garnett  Stokes, as well as greetings from the Board of Regents, Associated Students at UNM President Ian May, and the Graduate and Professional Student Association President Shaikh Ahmad. The ceremony will finalize with a performance by Mariachi Tenampa.

Over 900 students are set to graduate this fall, with around 800 signed up to attend the commencement ceremony, according to Middlebrook. This includes students from other branch campuses.

Cindy Nava, UNM alumnus, senior policy advisor to the secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, and presidential appointee for the White House, was chosen to be this semester’s keynote speaker. The University wanted the keynote speaker to be someone who would resonate with the graduates, and Nava felt like the right person for the job, according to Middlebrook.

“I believe she was just a very dynamic representation of a UNM graduate,” Middlebrook said. “So we're excited to have her, and I think she'll be a great speaker.”

Unlike the spring, the fall ceremony will not include the presentation and welcome of UNM’s alumni emeriti, people who graduated from the University 50 years ago, according to Middlebrook.

Middlebrook is looking forward to the ceremony as she sees it as a great celebration after so many years of hard work.

“It makes me feel very proud to be part of the institution and proud on behalf of all the family and guests and everyone that we have that have contributed to these students’ success," Middlebrook said. "So, it's just a great feeling."

Annya Loya is the news editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @annyaloya