Women's basketball: Lobos look competitive in loss against UNLV

The University of New Mexico Lobos lost 93-75 to the University of Nevada, Las Vegas Lady Rebels on Thursday, Feb. 2. The Lobos lost their three-game win streak, and are now 13-10 overall and 5-5 in conference play. UNLV remains the top team in the Mountain West conference being 11-0 in conference play.

It was “Women in Sports” night at The Pit. At halftime, women from the Isotopes, UNM administration and all the Lobo women student athletes were honored on the court and received recognition from the fans with applause.

The final score does not reflect how close of a game it was through the first three quarters: UNM played well on both sides of the ball, but UNLV put on a shooting clinic, making 36 of their 64 shots and 14 of their 31 3-pointers.

The Lobos had five players in double-digit scoring with LaTora Duff, Paula Reus and Amaya Brown all scoring 15 points.

UNLV’s Justice Ethridge had 20 points, making three of her seven 3-pointers and Desi-Rae Young had a double-double of 19 points and 10 rebounds.

Lobo LaTora Duff scored a 3-pointer on the opening possession of the game, but Lady Rebel Essence Booker responded with a 3-pointer of her own. Both teams displayed excellent 3-point shooting early on with all of the Lobos points coming from the 3-point. The Lobos were down 13-9 with 4:53 left in the first quarter.

Out of the timeout, the Rebels hit their fourth 3-pointer in the game and Lobo Aniyah Augmon responded with driving the lane for a layup. Reus scored on three possessions and forced a turnover on defense, but UNLV did not stop scoring. The Lobos had trouble responding to the Rebels full court press leading to empty possessions. The Lobos were down 29-19 going into the second quarter.

The Rebels’ 3-point barrage did not stop in the second quarter, and the Lobos offense went stagnant. LaTascya Duff scored back-to-back 3-pointers, but the Rebels simply did not miss. The Lobos were down 43-29 with 4:55 left in the half.

Augmon drove the lane and followed it up with a 3-pointer as part of a 10-0 run to end the half that put UNM down just 47-44 at the end of the half. The Lobos were playing well on offense and on defense, but UNLV's stellar shooting gave them the lead: the Rebels’ made 17 of their 28 shots and eight of their 17 3-pointers. To win the game, the Lobos would need to protect the lane and hope for UNLV's shooting luck to end.

Brown cut to the basket and scored the first points of the half. LaTascya Duff hit a jump shot to put the Lobos within 1, but Ethridge responded with a 3-pointer. The Lobos couldn't keep them out of the paint which led to easy baskets. The Lobos were down 62-57 with 3:32 left in the third quarter.

Kiara Jackson made two free throws to put UNLV up by 10, and Alyssa Brown followed it up with a 3-pointer. The Lobos were down 74-61 going into the fourth quarter.

Reus ran by her defender for an open layup to start the quarter, but the Rebels were relentless on both sides of the ball making shots and forcing turnovers. Ethridge drove the lane for a layup which prompted a UNM timeout down 82-63 with 7:46 left in the game.

With 2:16 left, both teams put in their reserves to play the rest of the game. The Lobos lost 93-75.

After the game, head coach Mike Bradbury gave credit to UNLV's response to the Lobos defense and was impressed by Lady Rebel Desi-Rae Young.

"I thought early in the game they did a great job passing out of the double team. I thought Young did a tremendous job throwing out of the double team. It was almost as if she knew where it was coming from. They moved the ball and found the right person and to their credit it seems like they made them all," Bradbury said.

Brown after the game also gave credit to the Lady Rebels offense commenting on their shot-making ability.

"They were just making everything, I honestly thought we did our best defensively. They were just hitting their shots. They had a good night," Brown said.

The Lobos next play at The Pit against San Diego State University on Saturday, Feb. 4.

Thomas Bulger is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @thomasbulger10 

Thomas Bulger