Baseball: Lobos lose series to San José State

The Lobos fell to a 6-8 record in conference play after a tough series loss to San José State. They won the first game in the series, but then came up short in the following days.

Reed Spenrath had an excellent series, getting nine hits with 12 at bats. Brian McBroom pitched the last four innings of the first game, giving up two hits and one run. Isaac Gallegos pitched the third game and went 5.2 innings, giving up two earned runs over the course of 121 pitches.

After the series, teammate Lenny Junior Ashby talked about Spenrath's hitting throughout the series and is excited to see his teammate thrive.

"Nothing makes me more happy than seeing that guy doing what he's capable of doing,” Ashby said. “Everybody knows that he can really hit. He's shown it before. I think everyone is really happy for him. I know I am and we hope he can keep pushing.”

The Lobos won the first game 16-8 on Thursday, April 6. The Lobos had 16 hits in the game and had solid offense throughout.

At the bottom of the third, the score was tied 4-4. Ashby had a leadoff walk and Braydon Runion tripled to score. Then, Spenrath doubled to add to the Lobos lead. Jake Holland homered to make it a four-run inning with the Lobos up 8-4.

UNM took over the game in the bottom of the sixth. With a runner on second, Olsen hit a long single to score a run. Olsen then made it home on a wild pitch. Ashby walked with the bases loaded, and Runion and Spenrath had back-to-back singles to make the lead 16-7.

The second game on Friday, April 7 was an 8-3 loss. Lobo Konner Kinkade hit his first college home run to push the Lobos lead to 3-1 in the bottom of the fifth. Spartan Micky Thompson threw for eight innings and gave seven hits but only two earned runs.

The Lobos did have an early lead. With runners on first and third, Kyle Smith hit a ball toward third base after which Spenrath was called out at home. The Lobos had crafty base running, however, and they advanced on the throw toward home. This resulted in two errors and two runs. Smith sprinted for an inside-the-park home run to put the Lobos up 2-1 in the bottom of the fourth.

At the top of the sixth, the Spartans loaded the bases with no outs. Matt Spear, Theo Hardy and James Shimashita had consecutive singles to make the game 5-3. Robert Hamchuk had a sacrifice fly which brought the lead to 6-3.

The Lobos lost the third game 14-3 and did not play the ninth inning due to mercy rules. The game was close through five innings, but a rough top of the sixth ultimately lost them the game on Saturday, April 8. The Lobos gave up seven walks and had a season-high six errors. Opponent Colette had a dominant game hitting two triples, a double and three-run homer.

UNM tied the game 3-3 going into the sixth inning. The Spartans responded with loaded  bases and then hit two singles and a sacrifice fly for three runs. With the bases loaded again, Hardy tripled to score another 3 and Shimashita singled to score Hardy. The inning ended with the Lobos down 10-3. 

Gallegos said a series loss is frustrating, but the team is more than capable of getting back on the right track after a mental reset.

"It's a little frustrating losing a series but we'll get this week off and get back to it,” Gallegos said. “I'll be just trying to execute pitches and just keep trying to do my job and eventually this team will get going again.”

The Lobo will next play on Tuesday, April 11 against Colorado State University Pueblo in Albuquerque.

Thomas Bulger is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @thomasbulger10

Thomas Bulger