NM United brings the heat

Eric Quill secures first win

New Mexico United won their 15th game of the season 2-1 against the Colorado Springs Switchbacks on June 24. The boys in black and gold secured their revenge, having previously lost to them on April 22 with a 2-1 loss.

This was not only a big win for players, but the club itself. Saturday’s game was the third for the newly appointed head coach, Eric Quill, who came in less than two weeks ago. With Quill, there seemed to be a new fire in the United players' bellies who had a never ending desire to keep possession of the ball.

The beginning of the match started off strong for United. The team focused heavily on keeping offensive control of the ball, and when the Switchbacks took the ball back, United's defense was rock solid.

30 minutes into the match, number 10, Amando Moreno, scored the first goal. Off of a corner kick, Marano was able to bicycle kick the ball straight into the back right corner of the goal, causing Isotopes Park to erupt with a roar.

During the press conference afterwards, Morano credited the goal to his new coach.

“I felt really free during the match. I had practiced that shot a few times, but never really expected to have a chance to try it out," Morano said. "And it’s all because of Eric, to be honest. He’s brought me so much confidence in myself.”

After the goal of the week, they continued to pressure the Switchbacks – securing their domination of the first half. A few yellow cards were given out to both sides, which led to a few corner kicks but no points scored by either team.

However, United intended to make it to the halfway point, and after an extra three minutes, United held a 1-0 lead.

United refused to give up their aggression. Within the first two minutes of the second half, the boys put together a remarkable team effort – giving midfielder, Daniel Bruce, the opportunity to score their second goal.

After, United seemed to completely lock in the victory – pushing farther to make sure they would come out on top. There was no sign of resting on defense to secure the win.

Before the three quarter mark in the match, the Switchbacks broke through United’s defense – securing themselves a goal. It was a slight disappointment for New Mexico fans due to the simplistic shot by substitute Aaron Wheeler, but with under 20 minutes left in the game, a comeback seemed improbable.

Yet the Switchbacks hustled to the best of their ability while United goalie, Alexander Tambakis, would not let another ball slip through his fingers.

United finished out the game with Tambasik making a save in the last three minutes – allowing his teammates to breathe a sigh of relief. The joy could be seen on the players faces during those last minutes as they closed out the game with a 2-1 score.

After the match, Quill gave his reaction to the game.

“I couldn’t be more proud of the players,” Quill said. “They’ve all worked so hard, spending hundreds upon hundreds of hours training and now they get to have a well deserved break for a few days. I have complete joy after tonight.”

United will continue after a few days break – returning to a field on July 1 where they will be playing the El Paso Locomotives in El Paso, Texas.

BillyJack Davidson is a freelance reporter at the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com.

BillyJack Davidson

BillyJack Davidson is a beat reporter at the Daily Lobo. He can be reached on Twitter @BillyJackDL