Women’s Basketball: Lobos win 65-55 at home

The women’s basketball team beat the Tarleton State Texans 64-55 on Sunday, Nov. 12. It was their third game of the season and they remain undefeated with a 3-0 record.

The Texans fell to a 1-2 record.

University of New Mexico led for 39:21 and survived a disastrous fourth quarter where they saw a 20-point lead shrink to eight, however they executed late to protect the lead and earn the win.

Nyah Wilson and Paula Reus lead the team in scoring with 16 points each. Wilson also added nine rebounds and two assists. She went 8-9 from the free throw line.

Aniyah Augmon had a good game defensively but some early foul trouble kept her from her usual offensive performance. Wilson took over that point guard spot and said she was ready for the opportunity.

"I was running it a lot at practice so I just had to get my mind right for it, just for this game scenario and this particular situation as well," Wilson said.

Reus' 16 points came from efficient shooting, going seven for 12. She made two of her five three-pointers and grabbed two rebounds and two steals. She was matched up against six feet and five inches Andjela Bigovic. Reus was asked if being active against an opponent like that helped her offense.

"I'm already moving my feet all the time so I'm active. That helps with my offense and I was ready to lay it in," Reus said.

Charlotte Kohl won the tip for UNM and it led to a 4-0 start to the game. Vianè Cumber and Reus dominated the quarter scoring nine and eight respectively to put the Lobos up 21-11 going into the second quarter.

The Lobos offense did not let up to start the second quarter. Kohl sank a pair of free throws and then forced a steal that led to a Hannah Robbins layup in transition to put the Lobos up 29-16. This forced a timeout by the Texans with 7:01 remaining in the half.

Then the offense went on a five minute scoring drought which allowed an 8-0 run for the Texans. UNM was able to hold on to the lead 33-28 but shot 5-15 in the quarter and 0-3 from the three-point line.

The team protected the rim well in the half. They held Tarleton State to 34.5% shooting from the field but the Texans went 5-11 on three-pointers which allowed them to keep the game close.

Cumber scored the first points of the third quarter with a three-pointer. Reus then scored five straight points for an 8-0 Lobo run. It ended with a free throw from Teresa Da Silva. Wilson had a nice drive to the basket for a layup and Reus hit a three-pointer to go up 48-31. The Texans called a timeout with 2:17 left in the quarter.

Wilson made three straight free throws to push the lead to 20. They only gave up four points in the quarter. UNM led 53-33 going into the final quarter.

UNM's offense went stagnant again, going on a two minute scoring drought but solid defense and forcing turnovers prevented the Texans from significantly chipping into the lead. 

Augmon stole the ball for an easy layup. The Lobos were up 61-45 with 4:35 left in the game.

The Lobos nearly fell apart with the Texans going on a quick 8-2 run. UNM called a timeout down 63-55 with 1:23 remaining. Out of the timeout, the Lobos were called for a 10 second violation: giving up the ball.

The Texans were called for traveling and on offense Wilson drove towards the basket and earned a trip to the free throw line where she made one of them. Lobos closed out the game and won 64-55.

The Lobos went 5-19 from the three-point line but made a couple in the first quarter. Head Coach Mike Bradbury after the game said this helped open up the entire offense.

"I thought it was important early that we stretched them out. We hit a few threes there early and that allowed us to get some lanes and to drive to the basket as well as get some back cuts," Bradbury said.

The Lobos will next face Texas A&M-Commerce on Nov. 15 at The Pit.

Thomas Bulger is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @thomasbulger10

Thomas Bulger