Golden Pride.jpg

Exterior of Golden Pride on Lomas on Saturday, Feb. 3.

LoboAlert issued for traffic following stabbing

On Friday, Jan. 26, a stabbing occurred inside the Golden Pride restaurant on Lomas Blvd. N.E. near the University of New Mexico campus. The UNM Police Department issued a LoboAlert for traffic following the incident.

Employee Ethan Sheppard reportedly stabbed his coworker, an adult male, at about 1:45 p.m. while they were both working. The victim was transported to UNM Hospital and later died from his injuries, according to an Albuquerque Police Department news release.

UNM Police Department issued a LoboAlert at 6:25 p.m. advising the campus community of police presence in the area. A second alert was issued at 10:45 p.m. advising that APD had cleared the area.

UNMPD’s Public Information Officer, Lieutenant Larry Bitsoih, said in a statement that the alert was issued due to the police presence possibly impacting heavy pedestrian and vehicle traffic at that time of day.

“Within two minutes, APD officers were on scene and had the only suspect in custody,” Bitsoih said.

UNMPD was not involved in the investigation, Bitsoih said. Their dispatcher received information that APD was responding to a stabbing through APD’s radio frequency at about 1:46 p.m. The dispatcher then notified the day-shift sergeant.

“We did advise early on that a suspect was in custody and there was no apparent danger,” APD Director of Communications Gilbert Gallegos said in a statement.

The LoboAlert came after UNMPD’s swing-shift sergeant went to the scene for an update on the situation  and to offer assistance and coordinate traffic control. When APD was still processing the scene after multiple hours, the sergeant informed Lieutenant Tim Stump, who issued the alert, according to Bitsoih.

Per the federal Clery Act, universities should issue emergency notifications (or LoboAlerts at UNM) in response to incidents on campus that pose an immediate threat to students or staff. UNM’s On-Campus Clery Geography does not include Golden Pride. However, the area surrounding the restaurant is part of the University’s Public Property Clery Geography.

“UNM’s Public Property Clery Geography includes roadways, including the sidewalk on both sides of these streets that directly border UNM’s campus,” the OEO website reads, followed by a list of streets.

Sheppard was charged with an open count of murder in the first degree on Jan. 26. 

Shannon Rainosek – Chief Executive Officer of Golden Pride Restaurants – said in a media statement that Golden Pride has taken steps to support its team, including providing employees with access to counseling services and providing wages to employees during the time the restaurant was temporarily closed.

“We ask for understanding and respect for the privacy of all those affected by this tragedy,” Rainosek said.

Lily Alexander is the news editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @llilyalexander

Lauren Lifke is the managing editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at managingeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @lauren_lifke

Lauren Lifke

Lily Alexander