Lobos lose off a game winner

The University of New Mexico women's basketball team lost to the Nevada Wolf Pack 83-82 for their final regular season game at The Pit. After an Aniyah Augmon jump shot put the team up by two points with four seconds remaining, Nevada's Lexie Givens rebounded a missed three-pointer for a layup and gave her team the win with an and-1 free throw.

The Lobos fell to 11-6 in conference play but are in second place overall in the conference standings with one regular season game remaining. Wyoming also has a record of 11-6, but UNM swept the Cowgirls in the season series. 

With a win on Tuesday, the Lobos could clinch the second seed for the conference tournament, but if Wyoming and Boise State win their respective games and the Lobos lose, they will fall to the fourth seed. 

The Lobos had five players in double-digit scoring. Paula Reus led the team with 21 points and six rebounds. Augmon had a double-double of 15 points and 10 assists.

The Wolfpack had four players in double-digit scoring, but it was Givens who dominated the game. Along with the game-winning free throw, she had 27 points, eight rebounds and two steals.

After the game, Vianè Cumber was asked if there was something Nevada was exploiting on defense, but she said Nevada was simply making their shots.

“They made a lot of shots and we tried to adjust. It was just one of those games,” Cumber said.

It was an extremely balanced game from the two teams. UNM outscored Nevada in points in the paint 34-30, second chance points 17-16 and bench points 19-18. The difference came in the fourth quarter when Nevada was able to make one more shot.

The Lobos got off to a fast start in the first quarter. Cumber and Reus combined for 7-11 for three-pointers in the quarter. UNM led 31-14 going into the second quarter.

After an Augmon jump shot put the Lobos up 39-20, Nevada's offense came to life – going on an 8-0 run and scored back-to-back three-pointers later in the quarter to significantly cut into the Lobo lead. Playing efficiently going 5-10 from the three-point line and 11-17 in field goals put them down 51-43 at the end of first half.

Nevada continued to chip away at the Lobos lead throughout the third quarter. Reus hit timely three-pointers near the start and end of the quarter to protect the lead but the Wolfpack continued to make their shots and get to the free throw line going 6-8 into the quarter. The Lobos led 68-66 going into the fourth.

Victoria Davis tied the game up right at the start of the quarter and a pair of free throws gave Nevada their first lead of the game. After Nevada went up by five, the Lobos offense exploded for a 7-0 run, but with a three-pointer, Givens gave the lead right back to Nevada.

With 2:15 left in the game, Lara Langermann tied the game 80-80 for the Lobos with a three-pointer. Then, both offenses went cold. It wasn't until there were four seconds that Augmon took the lead for the Lobos but it was followed up by a great offensive rebound, layup and clutch free throw by Givens to seal the game for Nevada with 0.7 seconds left.

After the game, Head Coach Mike Bradbury gave credit to Nevada but, when asked, shared his gripes with the officiating.

“I guess (officials) call what they see. It's the first time we haven't shot more free throws (than an opponent). We spent the entire game driving it at the basket, and for some reason it wasn't a foul,” Bradbury said.

The Lobos went 9-13 in free throws for the game and Nevada was 15-18.

The Lobos will play their final regular season game on Tuesday, March 5 against Fresno State.

Thomas Bulger is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @thomasbulger10

Thomas Bulger