BillyJack.jpg

BillyJack Davidson poses outside of Marron Hall on Friday, May 3.

BillyJack Davidson is a writer

BillyJack Davidson has worked for the Daily Lobo as the men’s basketball beat reporter this past season, covering community events on the side. He graduates from the University of New Mexico this spring with a bachelor’s degree in liberal arts.

Davidson was born and raised in Albuquerque and said he has no intention of leaving. As a third generation Lobo, he said he is proud to graduate from UNM as it has been his dream from a young age.

Davidson chose liberal arts because it allowed him to explore every subject available, he said.

“I didn't have a definitive college I had to stay in. I got to do art history, ballet, writing, creative writing, nonfiction writing, film noir, philosophy, anthropology – all fields I had access to which I really enjoyed,” Davidson said.

After graduation, Davidson wants to pursue journalism. As long as he has the opportunity to write, he will be happy, he said. He writes fictional short stories in his spare time.

Davidson wants to continue with sports journalism, however, unlike many sports writers, sports is not something he grew up with.

“Originally, I tried (sports writing) because I knew it would be easier for my brain to work with, and I kept writing and kept going to different sporting events. I realized the importance of it. For instance, soccer is just guys running around kicking a ball into a goal, yet it's one of the things that brings together the most people in the entire world,” Davidson said.

In sports journalism, Davidson loves being the middleman between the players on the court and the fans in the stands, he said.

Most of his favorite memories of writing for the Lobo were at The Pit, he said, particularly UNM’s 99-86 victory against Utah State.

Davidson also covered local events for the Lobo culture desk. Karina Bolaños, the culture editor, wrote that his attention to detail made his writing style unique.

“I really like how well he can set up a place in a story. He pays attention to some of the more minimal details that people may not necessarily think to include. I think my favorite pieces he wrote were his concert pieces because of that reason,” Bolaños wrote.

Davidson’s primary hobby is writing, he said. He was recently published for his coverage of NM United’s win in the US Open Cup.

“I write. I write and I write and I write. I’m old school, I do it by hand. I have 15 notebooks filled with random story ideas – none of them have endings,” Davidson said.

If Davidson could go back in time and give himself advice as a freshman, he would say to not worry about the social aspect of college.

“Don't worry about (being sociable) as much. Seriously, don't worry about making friends, or trying to please people or trying to be ‘in,’ and focus on yourself, because things will work out. They always do,” Davidson said.

Thomas Bulger is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @thomasbulger10

Thomas Bulger