Bella Davis

PPE Protest.jpg
News

UNMH employees protest lack of PPE

Spaced apart following social distancing guidelines, University of New Mexico Hospital (UNMH) employees and allies waved signs and chanted as passing cars honked in a show of support on April 15. “What do we need?” one protester shouted. “PPE!” the crowd shouted back. They assembled in front of the University of New Mexico Hospital (UNMH) to protest the lack of personal protective equipment (PPE) accessible to the staff.

Chair outside Zimmerman.jpg
News

Pay and safety top UNM staff concerns

On April 2, the University of New Mexico announced that its period of limited operations was extended to April 30 in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. With this extension comes new challenges for UNM staff.  One of the biggest changes that came as a result of the extension relates to staff pay.  Since the period of limited operations began, all employees have been sorted into three work tiers. Tier one employees are working physically on campus, tier two work remotely and tier three are on standby and available to report to work if needed.  Regular staff in all tiers will continue to be paid until April 30, per new guidelines sent out by UNM Human Resources. However, no decisions have been made past April 30, according to HR Strategic Support Manager Amber Bailey. 

More articles »