New Mexico will hire Wright State basketball coach Mike Bradbury to be the Lobos women's basketball head coach, the athletic department announced Wednesday afternoon.

Women's Basketball: New Mexico hires Mike Bradbury to lead women's basketball

New Mexico will appoint Mike Bradbury as the sixth head coach for the women’s basketball program.

Bradbury will join the Lobos after serving six years at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio, replacing former UNM head coach Yvonne Sanchez. The Raiders recorded a 24-11 overall record this past season while going 12-6 in conference play.

UNM Vice President for Athletics Paul Krebs released the following statement on Wednesday afternoon:

“I am excited to have Mike Bradbury lead our women’s basketball program. We looked at a lot of candidates, and Mike rose to the top with his past successes, both as a head coach at Wright State and Morehead State and as an assistant. Mike has a great reputation as a recruiter, as a coach and as an educator, and I’m proud to welcome him, his wife Christy and his two children Alex and Sena Nicole to the Lobo family.”

A full release from UNM will be released on Thursday. Bradbury is also set to be introduced on Thursday at 1:30 p.m. at WisePies Arena.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.