A UNM pole vaulter pushes himself over the bar during the New Mexico Team Invitational on Saturday, Jan. 28. 2017 at the Albuquerque Convention Center. 

Track and Field: Lobos expect "tuneup" weekend

The Lobo track and field team could be easing the throttle on the engine after posting two big weeks of performances, as it hosts a third straight home meet with the New Mexico Classic & Multis on Friday and Saturday.

“Quite honestly, not a lot (are) happening this week,” head coach Joe Franklin said about the upcoming event. “This is more a tuneup week, rest week and training week.”

The Lobos were still taking hard training sessions each day, will also aiming to recover from the past competitive weekend.

Last weekend, the New Mexico track and field team managed to post a remarkable four individual titles and 13 top-three finishes at the New Mexico Team Invitational.

Two titles and seven top-three finishes came on the women’s side.

The solid performance moved UNM women’s track and field team into No.25 in the most recent USTFCCCA National Coaches’ Poll.

It is the third straight year that the women’s team has been placed in the top 25 in national rankings.

The past cross country season probably helped garner some recognition, as many of those same athletes compete on the track in distance running.

“It shows what is happening in cross country as well, and continues to be a very powerful sport, not only in the conference, but nationals as well,” Franklin said. “The other thing you got to look at is Boise ranked 11, To have two Mountain West teams in any sport in the top 25 in the country is ‘weird’”.

The Mountain West has proved its worth, earning two top-25 team finishes at the NCAA Cross Country Championship in both womens and mens competition.

There is likely no doubt that the Mountain West wants to continue that trend and longs to see more top teams nationally ranked in track and field as well.

The Lobo men’s squad did not earn a national ranking, but they did put up some sterling marks in the past week to finish atop the standings.

“They did a great job, they won the meet. Everybody competed well,” Franklin said. “So it’s nice to have that specially over top 25 teams and Big 12 teams.”

Two titles and six top-three finishes at Team Invitational desired may bring even more expectations on the men’s side this weekend.

But the head coach emphasized that it was an off weekend for the team, since the Lobos needed some rest and training before the Don Kirby meet.

Franklin mentioned that many of the athletes would either be off the events or just training through the meet.

He said the team also appears to be past the flu bug. The head coach every seemed to be healthy heading into competition.

Although UNM will not showcase a full roster, there could still be fierce competitions to look forward to this weekend.

Several teams were invited to compete at New Mexico Classic & Multis. And while team scores will not be counted at this meet, the pursuit of personal records and competitive spirit will surely bring out the best in some.

Bo Yu is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers track and field, cross country and volleyball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Bo_YuB.